What is this Picture?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

No, it was the Me 328 V1 in it's test mounting.
The piloted version of the V1 flying bomb was the Fiesler Fi-103R Reichenberg, which although similar in concept, has a number of noticable differences.

According to 'Mistel; Die Hucke-pack-Flugzeuge der Luftwaffe bis 1945' ('The piggy-back aircraft of the Luftwaffe') by Hans-Peter Dabrowski:

Aircraft mounted in 'Mistel' set-up for flight testing (ie, not intended for use as Mistel)

Messerschmitt Me 328 V1 atop a Dornier Do 217E (1943)
Messerschmitt Me 328B atop a Do 217E-2 (1945)
DFS 228 atop a Dornier Do 217K-3 (194?)
Bachem Ba 349 Natter atop a Heinkel He 111 (194?)

First Mistel aircraft test combinations (codes as per photos):

1. DFS 230 (CB+ZB) with Klemm KL 35 (D-EXCM) control aircraft
2. DFS 230 (CB+ZB) with Focke-Wulf Fw 56 Stösser (GA+GN) control aircraft
3. DFS 230 (D-IEXX and D-14??) with Messerschmitt Bf 109E (no visible codes)

Foreign 'Mistel':

The first to use the Mistel idea outside of Germany were the Italians, who used Savoia Marchetti Sm.79 aircraft as 'Grossbomben' ('Giant bombs')

The USAAF used "Aphrodite" aircraft, which were remotely controlled bombers (mostly war-weary Boeing B-17s) filled with circa 10 tons of Torpex explosive and painted bright yellow or white.

(More info in book if anyone's interested)

The piloted version of the V1 flying bomb was the Fiesler Fi-103R Reichenberg, which although similar in concept, has a number of noticable differences.
Was that the same "vehicle" that was the subject of the movie "Operation Crossbow"?
I seem to remember them shooting that one off the ramp (ala V-1), but we all know how Hollywood like to take "Artistic Liberty's".

Elvis

:lol:

Attachments

• proud-cat.jpg
    proud-cat.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 81
I need more info, Like was this plane or design ever used? I know its a Do-217

I know that, toward the end of the War, the Germans were experimenting with their own version of the Ohka Japanese kamikaze rocket plane; called Reichenbergs, they were, essentially, piloted V-1 bombs. Hanna Reitsch was big proponent of the Reichenbergs, and promoted them as the only way to stop the massive Allied air attacks on her homeland. The unit on top looks like a Reichenberg, but made by a different manufacturer.

The Manned V-1 had better performance than the Ohka, and much better range. (2-300 miles, 400+ mph at full throttle at low altitude)
They would have been much more useful as kamikazi weapons for the japanese with bombers not having to get too close (and getting shot down) and the possibility of land based operations. Or maybe an Ohka powered by a pulse jet. (the engines being very chap and simple to build)

Though the whole discussion of this is a bit morbid...

The only problem with a pulse jet fighter (besides vibration and fuel consumption) is a large drop in thrust with altitude.

400+ mph at full throttle at low altitude

The problem with most Pulsojets is: There's only full throttle or full stop.:lol: I've seen this once on a model He-162 in Dachau. About 5 people were working hard to get it started and then it was extremely loud and with a big flame burning the grass. Great! :lol:

I know that, toward the end of the War, the Germans were experimenting with their own version of the Ohka Japanese kamikaze rocket plane; called Reichenbergs, they were, essentially, piloted V-1 bombs. Hanna Reitsch was big proponent of the Reichenbergs, and promoted them as the only way to stop the massive Allied air attacks on her homeland. The unit on top looks like a Reichenberg, but made by a different manufacturer.
Speaking of Ohka, I just remembered that my Dad was stationed at Johnson Air Base in Japan back in the 50's and they had an Ohka displayed on a big stand.

bacabomb.jpg

I saw the picture in a rememberance book that sits on their bookshelf.
Whenever Mom sees that, she starts talking about all the things she remembers of them living there.
In fact, my brother and sister attended Gakko, just outside of the base, when they were very young.
Somewhere, Mom has a couple of pics of them standing on the side of the road getting ready to head out.

Elvis

LOL!, thanks A4K.
What really gets me is that spindly front end and the fact that he's going about 100 mph! :shock:

...and "talk a look-see" ?

Sorry about that, it should read "TAKE a look-see".

:rolleyes: I need to get some sleep :rolleyes:

Elvis

From the section entitled: "Pulse Jet Project: The GoKart"

"As I mentioned -- the kart doesn't even have a seat yet so I clamped a piece of wood onto two cross-members to stop my backside from scraping along the cement.
This board was also a handy place to lash the 20lb propane tank which provides the fuel for this jet.
"

So I guess its propane powered (there's a dirty joke in there...somewhere ;) ).

Elvis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back