What model to buy?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bucksnort101

2nd Lieutenant
Sep 11, 2007
Minnesota
Well, it's been many years since I've build a model and would like some recommendations on what model to buy at the model shop this weekend? 1/48 scale will probably be the scale I would want to model.
I will be building WWII aircraft and want something cheap and fairly simple to build. Main thing want to accomplish with this one is some practice on finishing techniques, ie.. filling, painting, weathering, Etc....
Thinking a Revell/Monogram P-51 or P-40 may fit the bill, unless you have better suggestions.

I just started again also. I have always liked the Monorgram line. I am working on a B-25J and B-25H. I think that all of the prices are high but I am getting old. I try to find the clearance models and the sales ads.

DBII

I think that it should be a model that would be easy to make in order to get better at modelling because you haven't built them for many years.!:48 scale model is a good choice.You said Revell/Monogram it is also a good one.If I could suggested your first model, try to buy Spitfire Mk.IXC/XVI no.04554.As I remember there is a Hasegawa model in the box with many details.There shouldn't be any problem with assembling.Besides it shouldn't be expensive.
Some help for techiniques of painting etc... you can find here also.There are some really nice guys for that.

May pick up a couple cheapies. My biggest problem back when I used to build was getting too anxious to complete the model and not spending the proper time to do things just a little better.

I built a Tamiya Frank a little while ago, very simple for a 1:48 so a good introduction. Also have a Revell Me 109 which was very cheap and simple to build,although the paint scheme is rather confusing

May pick up a couple cheapies. My biggest problem back when I used to build was getting too anxious to complete the model and not spending the proper time to do things just a little better.

I think that you should try to build the model step by step and you don't have to be in a hurry.Sometimes going to a movie between the main landnig gear assembling and cockpit details one is better than sitting for long time.

The newer ICM kits are absolutely beautiful in either 1:72 or 1:48 - very minor mistakes in some details, but easily on par with Tamiya at half the price. Beautiful engines in the 1:48 kits -I have the Spitfire Mk.VIII, which is gonna be an Aussie machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back