What's for dinner?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The newly aquired slow cooker has been in action this afternoon making a beef ale casserole.
Roasted veg ( the works as usual) and mash potato.
Just the job for a autumn evening meal.

I love my slow cooker. Had biscuits, sausage and eggs last night. Was home alone. My wife and son are on the other side of the state for a soccer game. They had garlic buttered prawns and mahi mahi (damn them... that's not fair).

Not sure about tonight. Alone again until they get home very late. Probably just a salad. East to make AND cleanup. I hate cleaning up after myself.

Bunny bacon pie going in the oven in an hour accompanied by a bread and butter pudding. To be washed down with the Norman cider we won at the bar quiz last night. A proper pie with base and lid. Not a lid on a stew fake pie.

Nothing fancy. Brown 1-1.25lb ground beef, drain off fat. Add 1/2 chopped onion and saute. Add taco seasoning and 1/2C water. Simmer until water is rendered out. Add a 14oz can of refried beans and 1C shredded cheddar cheese (you can also substitute rice and whole beans). Hot sauce to taste. Mix thoroughly. You can make this hours ahead of time and refrigerate. I usually let it at least cool off to make it easier to wrap in burrito size flour tortillas, wrapping eggroll style (ends tucked). Heat 1/4" canola oil in a non-stick pan over medium -low heat. Heat until slightly simmering. Add chimi's and brown rolling periodically, do not crowd. Serve over shredded lettuce with salsa, hot sauce and/or sourcream. Amazing how little oil they absorb if you have the oil at the right temperature. This is the crucial part, as if the oil is too hot they burn VERY quickly.

Tonight chicken thighs on the grill. Not sure if I'm going to go for Asian marinade, BBQ sauce or savory. I'm thinking BBQ sauce, slaw, beans and cornbread.

Users who are viewing this thread