What's on The Workbench (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dam fine work Terry

She looks a winner!

Wojtek amazing skills you have ,you've made me really keen to start on a 109F if only I hadn't so much on my plate

Thanks Wojtek! But, the first shots of the metalic finish, which are the beginings of the process, are NOT paint...... (Keep em guessing Tel boy!)
Oops, sorry, i forgot to add, thanks for the compliment Daniel!

Thanks Robert!
A bare metal Spitfire eh? Careful though, a lot of the 'silver' ones weren't bare metal, but painted in 'Aluminium' or 'High Speed Silver', depending on era. There were exceptions though!
I'll start a thread on NMF finishes very soon, as I realise it is the bain of the modellers' life. I only became 'comfortable' with the NMF finish a few years back, after some experiments. My method works, but, NMF on models is a difficult one to photograph effectively, no matter what lens, lighting or filtration is used, so the examples might not show the method properly. Models in NMF always look better in 'real life' but, I'll get something together soon. Thanks for asking BTW!
Terry.

G'day Terry, I look forward to your thread! The spit I'm going to do is a MkVc around late 44 early 45 depicting an 85 sqn RAAF machine. From photo's I have of this squadron they look like bare metal with aluminium painted control surfaces.
Check out some pics, I'm interested in your opinion.

Attachments

• 85sqnRAAF1.jpg
    85sqnRAAF1.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 85sqnRAAF2.jpg
    85sqnRAAF2.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 85sqnRAAF7.jpg
    85sqnRAAF7.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 26
Yep mate, definitely bare metal! As far as I know, these Spits were possibly delivered in camouflage, which was then removed. At least, that's what happened with the British built ones. That finish should be slightly easier to achieve, as you don't need to get the polished look. The main thing to aim for is the variance in the metal colours/shades of the panels. I'll see if I can get something together by the end of this week if time permits. Whenever I do, how to achieve differences in panel colours will be explained.
Cheers,
Terry.
PS if you and Wayne still need those lower nose air/sand filters for the Spit Vc, I've found 4 sets, in 1/48th scale, in my spares box. I've got more chance of finding Hitler's dog than I have of using them, so they might as well go to good homes! I don't mind sending them by Air Mail, only costs a few pence to Oz! Also got some spare 1/48th spoked Spit wheels, and probably other bits too! Let me know if you want them mate.

Wojtek and Terry.... great work you Guys!!

Interested in your 'Metal' finish Terry, please proceed......

Andy......the questions are,
You doing a 1/48 Mk.Vc?
You going to do SH K?
Do you have the decals for it?:D

Yep mate, definitely bare metal! As far as I know, these Spits were possibly delivered in camouflage, which was then removed. At least, that's what happened with the British built ones. That finish should be slightly easier to achieve, as you don't need to get the polished look. The main thing to aim for is the variance in the metal colours/shades of the panels. I'll see if I can get something together by the end of this week if time permits. Whenever I do, how to achieve differences in panel colours will be explained.
Cool. No rush on the new thread mate, I've gotta finish off my Buffalo yet!

PS if you and Wayne still need those lower nose air/sand filters for the Spit Vc, I've found 4 sets, in 1/48th scale, in my spares box. I've got more chance of finding Hitler's dog than I have of using them, so they might as well go to good homes! I don't mind sending them by Air Mail, only costs a few pence to Oz! Also got some spare 1/48th spoked Spit wheels, and probably other bits too! Let me know if you want them mate.

Thanks for the offer, but the Airfix kit that I will be using comes with a volkes filter so I'll be right. Agian thanks for the offer! :)

Hey Terry thanks for the offer, will keep it in mind, I am yet to decide if I will modify a Tamiya Vb or see what the new Vc releases are like and just go with one of them...:D

Andy,I got the set with SH K from Aeromaster...also from Craig!

Paying him a visit this Saturday if you're free?

Attachments

• Aussie Spit's 48-666.jpg
    Aussie Spit's 48-666.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 22
Thanks for the compliment Wayne!
As for the Vc filters, Andy Wayne, all sets are actually from the FIRST issue of the Airfix kit, so it shows how long I've had them!
If you need them, just shout!

Andy,I got the set with SH K from Aeromaster...also from Craig!

Paying him a visit this Saturday if you're free?

I don't know what I'm doing this weekend, It's my first one off in a month! I'll give you a buzz closer to the day.
I noticed some differances with our decals for SH-K, I wonder which one is more accurate??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back