What's on The Workbench

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wojtek Mate just seen the pics...........:shock:

Nice lines on them

so what do you think is better the italeri or mastercraft kit?

your doing an amazing job!

It's not easy to say.Both kits need much work on them to get a correct models.The Italeri kits seems to have a good shape of all parts.But it has incorrect dimension and it needs to be corrected as shown in the pics above ( for example the cockpit whole and the cockpit conopy because both pieces are too big.Some parts need to be scratch-built (for instance exchaust pipes).But the main "sin" of the kit is that almost all panel lines ( especially on the fuselage are at the wrong places and have to be re-engraved.So it means that all incorrect lines have to be filled with putty and then sanded.
The MasterCraft kit has incorrect front area of the fuselage and incorrect dimensions of both the wing and fuselage.The panel lines on fuselage are correct mostly.But the the shape of the tail needs to be corrected.What is more the stabilizer roots are too low (1.5-2mm) and have to be moved up.
Generally all parts need to be corrected and the cockpit interior has to be scratch-built.There is needed much more sanding than with the Italeri kit.

To sum up...If you don't have enough time for sanding, scratch-building. etc.. and you aren't going to take part in competitions the Italeri kit seems to be easier to assemble.

Here a couple of pics.

And BTW THX to all for nice words.

Attachments

• Bf109F MC stery1.jpg
    Bf109F MC stery1.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Bf109F MC stery1a.jpg
    Bf109F MC stery1a.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Bf109F MC stery1c.jpg
    Bf109F MC stery1c.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Bf109F MC stery1d.jpg
    Bf109F MC stery1d.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Bf109F MC stery2.jpg
    Bf109F MC stery2.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Bf109F MC stery2e.jpg
    Bf109F MC stery2e.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Bf109F MC stery2c.jpg
    Bf109F MC stery2c.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 27
  • Bf109F MC stery2b.jpg
    Bf109F MC stery2b.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Bf109F MC stery2a.jpg
    Bf109F MC stery2a.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 27
Thats a lot of work Wojtek! Looking forward to seeing more progress.

I'm nearly finished my T-2, just needs the canopy painted and fitted, bit of PE to go on them too.

SL381529.jpg

SL381530.jpg

SL381532.jpg

SL381537.jpg

I'm going back to WW2 birds for a while, a 1/48 IL-2 is next up.

Thanks fellas :) I don't normally do jets, I stick to WW2 builds, but i do have a load of MiGs in the stash (15, 19, 21, 23, 27, 29!), I might start building a few of them.

I know, I'm on the lookout for a 17, and i want to build another MiG-3, it was the 1st model i built when I returned to the hobby and its crap, a full line out of MiGs would look good in a display case. 8)

Yep I agree.:D
For the Mig-17 (Lim-6bis) I can suggest the Smer kit in 1/48 scale.The model looks nice.

Wojtek, by the time you've finished, the model will be virtually scratch built! It seems you are only using the kit parts as patterns! Great stuff!
Muller, nice T2. BTW there are a number of MIG kits available in 1/48th from Model Hobbies; I'd tought of doing some of the 'earlier' ones, 15 to 21, so will probably give it a try.

Wojtek, by the time you've finished, the model will be virtually scratch built! It seems you are only using the kit parts as patterns! Great stuff!

Hi Terry,

These model parts are pieces of the kit with corrections but some elements have to be scratch-built anyway, like the main landing gear covering.I try to use only pieces of the kit with corrections for that I use plastic from mould frames or other sources for instance.For example like for "gutters" in the wheel bays.

Here a couple of pics.

Attachments

• Bf109 landing gear4_a.jpg
    Bf109 landing gear4_a.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Bf109 landing gear4_b.jpg
    Bf109 landing gear4_b.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Bf109 landing gear4_c.jpg
    Bf109 landing gear4_c.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Bf109 landing gear4_d.jpg
    Bf109 landing gear4_d.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Bf109 landing gear4_e.jpg
    Bf109 landing gear4_e.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Bf109 landing gear9a.jpg
    Bf109 landing gear9a.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Bf109 landing gear7.jpg
    Bf109 landing gear7.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Bf109 landing gear6.jpg
    Bf109 landing gear6.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Bf109 landing gear5.jpg
    Bf109 landing gear5.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Bf109 landing gear4_.jpg
    Bf109 landing gear4_.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 27
That is amazing work, my friend! I'm afraid that this stupid Rheumatoid Arthritis prevents me doing such things these days, even in 1/32nd scale, but, even without the disease, I doubt I could achieve that precision!

Possibly the only good thing that came out of the forum being down for a week was, that I could start another project. As I am waiting for some scenic materials, in order to complete the diorama base for the Gustav, I thought I'd start on the Academy 1/48th Sabre. I've always wanted to do some Korean war aircraft, particularly the Sabre, and this has been a good excuse!
Here's a few pics of the progress to date which, I was surprised to find, was fairly rapid. It's a VERY nice kit, and most is built from the box, with a few small additions along the way. That 'silver' finish is not the paint incidentally, it's part one of a technique I use for NMF finishes, which works well with brushes or with an airbrush, but even better, after practice, with the former.
If anyone wants to know how it's done, once you've seen the finished product, I'll post a thread on NMF finishes.

Attachments

• Sabre build 021.jpg
    Sabre build 021.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Sabre build 013.jpg
    Sabre build 013.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 30
  • Sabre build 001.jpg
    Sabre build 001.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Sabre build 012.jpg
    Sabre build 012.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Sabre build 017.jpg
    Sabre build 017.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Sabre build 031.jpg
    Sabre build 031.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 29
  • Sabre build 045.jpg
    Sabre build 045.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 26
:oops: :oops: but thank you very much. :)

My Friend , the Rheumatoid Arthritis is really a problem for you, I'm sorry but I'm sure if there wasn't the problem your models would be very accurate taking your skills into consideration.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back