What's on The Workbench

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, Tues the 7th I got my Hasegawa 1/48th P-51D for my Bob Love, Korean war F-86 ace, Mustang named Bernie's Bo, as was his Sabre. When I knew the plane it was owned by Russ Francis, a SF 49er football player. I did some artwork for him, produced a T shirt. Was fortunate enough to ride in this plane several times and ground crewed at several air shows. This is the first days progress, and a photo of the plane as I knew it. I'll have to have the decals made when I have my nose art GB decals done.

I have since found that Eddie Andreini from Half Moon Bay CA has purchased and totally refurbished it back to original and a new paint scheme, what a beauty it is now. Photo 3! From the Mustangs Mustangs News site.

This morning I am painting the yellow stripes, wings and tail. This afternoon the white of the fuselage. I'm trying to do this one........... in a week! I have 4 more days.

Attachments

• BB 1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 51
  • BB 2.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 52
  • BB-3.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 56
And todays progress. White and yellow!

Will have to do the black lines at the sides of the yellow tomorrow afternoon as I will be going down to the air museum in Wollongong for the volunteers orientation meeting. I just hope I'm successful in getting to work on the model displays and restoring some of the big display models!!!!!!

Attachments

• BB-4.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 51
Good luck with the volunteer thing Bill (and the name Wollongong brings back memories of oz!)

And great minds think alike! Doing another P-51D myself - yours is looking much nicer so far though!

Mine is a long started project which I need to finish within 3 weeks for my dad when he visits.
Kit is a highly modified Academy 1:72 P-51D, which will be a Dallas built P-51D-25-NT when done, NZ2419 of No.2 (Wellington) TAF sqn, RNZAF.

Mods so far:
-Complete cockpit from Academy P-51D, Italeri F-51D, Revell P-51B, Pavla resin and scratchbuilt components,
-new wing tips scratched from resin cutoffs,
-Squadron Clear Vac (Falcon) canopy,
-entire nose and spinner from firewall forward ex- Revell P-51B,
-scratchbuilt radiators and ducts,
-modified gun ports, aileron controls and flap hinge (all still in progress despite test shot of paint)
-modified tail and fin fillet, filed offset to port as per original
-scratchbuilt radio mast

Pushing to get this and the Kranich done within the same time limit!

Last edited:
Wow, Couldn't possibly get all them mods done inna week!
Only modification on BB is the rear seat, and a blade antennae in place of the stick when I get it on. Oh, and gun ports are gone.

It's alookin god Evan.

Cheers guys!

Definitely not done in a week Bill - started this about 5 years ago, kept getting stalled. Just started again now to finish it for when my dad turns up. Don't see each other too often!

Thanks Wayne.......

In need of some help on this one.

I am in need of TWO US national insignia......
now specifically it needs to be black and 29. 30 or 31 mm long, end to end.
This will be to scale as it is on this Mustang.

Any help would be osomuch appreciated. I just don't have a big enough stash to have these lying around.

Attachments

• BB 2.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 67

Users who are viewing this thread