What's on The Workbench (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It does look very nice Karl. Something I read said that the Hobbycraft wings were molded with downward dihedral that was very difficult of not impossible to correct. I read this just before I was going to start building it so it remains un-started in the stash.

Just googled it and wow it does get a lot of stick !

Then again the trumpeter vampire is slaughtered on britmodeller as well, but again they don't seem to like any kit at all of a British subject on there !

My diversion Eduard's 1/48 Alby D V and the Revell 1/72 Fokker E III.The Fokker I am not sure about the color itself it called for 75% Olive and 25% Yellow and it looked streaky kinda like the Fokker Triplane.The base color was olive drab then olive oil with a y/gold oil applied with a fan brush it was fun and relaxing anyway

The Alby needs to be retouched on the green of the tail for the red.I just was trying to paint the outside edge red before applying the decals for hopefully a better result?I screwed up on the Alby with the MG's though by not putting them in the sequence as requested by the instructions hoping to pop them in later so as not to have to mask around them as well as the engine.

Attachments

• DSC03506 (900 x 675).jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC03507 (900 x 675).jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC03508 (900 x 675).jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC03509 (900 x 675).jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 81
Thks Guys and yea the Fokker might have a 4" w/s but the Alby has about 5-6" not to bad.These are for fun and try out some new techniques.

Decals started the Alby tailfeathers outline on the box are red were red I thought on the sheet now orange I started the Ki-100 in 1/72 tonight by Hase I think the ole brain is starting fly right again

Attachments

• DSC03510 (900 x 675).jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC03511 (900 x 675).jpg
    76 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC03515 (900 x 675).jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 64
ok after a couple of months off this build i started adding decals today, just need to add under wing serial numbers but these have to be layed over the main wheel doors and then cut to allow you to have the wheels lowered, so have been putting it off !

yes it does have two different sqn colours, one each side !

That's looking good Karl.

I'm still too stiff and sore to tackle any modelling at the moment, which is bl**dy frustrating. So, rather than tear my hair out, I've started the planning stages for the Tamiya 1/48th scale Lancaster, which I hope to start work on once I (hopefully) get back to what passes for normality, and finish those models, such as the CF-104 and Stirling diorama, which are patiently awaiting completion.
There's a lot to be done just to correct the errors in the old Tamiya kit, before construction can begin and, together with the addition of some detail here and there, I foresee many hours of planning and test-fitting ahead.
The pics below give some idea of just some of the corrections needed in the forward section of the fuselage/cockpit area, and I'll eventually start a thread, with full explanations of what's required, when work commences - given my body cooperates, and starts working again !!

Attachments

• Lancaster 48th scale 003.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Lancaster 48th scale 004.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Lancaster 48th scale 011.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 53
One hangar queen done, on to the next...

...I have no idea why I painted it white. I thought I had a "captured" decal sheet for this but no.

The aircraft I'm after is the one posted below. I've seen it mentioned as an E-3 and an E-4

I know one of the changes from a -3 to a -4 was the canopy shape but as shown in the photo, this won't matter. What else if any would I need to do to back-date this model to a -3 if that is indeed what it is?. If it's beyond my skills, I also have a photo of a "captured" -7 I can do as the kit provides for this. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Geo

EDIT: Is this a -3 or -4? EDIT THE EDIT: It looks like it has a -4 canopy

Last edited:
According to a couple of sources the DG200 was E-4 version ( ex Wolfgang Teumer's kite of the 2./JG51, Black12, WNr.4101) while the AE479 was the E-3 sub-type (ex Karl Hier's plane of 1./JG76, White1, WNr.1304). The Bf 109E-3 was captured in France, 1939 and was repaired later. However there are still doubts whether the AE479 was the E-3. It is likely the White1 and the AE479 seen in the pics were the same plane.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread