What's on The Workbench (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Terry it's white caulking then you use acrylics over that mixing your colors right on the spot.It is real easy to work with but the wave action needs more work.The main thing is I am enjoying modeling again with my interest in ships here of late.I appreciate the comments.Kevin

Thanks for the info Javlin. I'll have to try that on some 'river' or pond' areas on military dioramas; a lot easier and cheaper than casting resin! I'm guessing that 'caulking' is what we know as 'silicone sealer' in the U.K., the stuff used to seal around shower tubs, baths, windows etc. Great, as I could use clear, and colour over that.

That's it Terry the thing about the white it allows shades to be developed.Now if you go clear sili crumple up some aluminum foil and lay it to the base coat it with sili and paint;gives you the reflection then clear gloss.Kevin

Thanks again, Jav. Good info; I've got an idea for using it for shallow, slightly muddy water, in a 1/35th scale stream. Sounds like it should work well; resin takes ages, it's expensive, and you have to do the 'water' before anything else. And, in a contained area! Your method should be good for most things, and if you don't mind, I'll use it in the Diorama Guide, after I've tried it. I'll give you a credit for the idea of course!!

Thanks again, Kevin. You'll still get a credit, as you passed it on, but I'll also acknowledge the original source. In fact, if you've any close-up pics, especially of the 'construction' of the water, they might prove useful; it'll save me doing some specially for the guide. I'll let you know when/if I might need them, if that's OK?

Thanks Jan. I'd already looked at that article some time ago, in case it was anything 'new'. Good article, but that's the way I've done it in the past, and it looks great when finished, but takes time, is rather messy (or can be) and is relatively expensive for even a small area. It also has to be totally contained as it's 'made', otherwise the resin leaks out all over!
But, I will be including this method in 'the Guide'.

Update on my Corsair. :)

Got it mostly painted and decaled, the black decal on the wing is in the wrong place, so I had to split it on the flaps. Hope it won't look too bad when she's weathered.

Here she is with wings, flaps and engine cowling dry fitted. Prop painted too. Don't think I'll be able to work again on this until after Christmas.

SL381591.jpg

SL381593.jpg

Can't wait to start dirtying her up! :twisted:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back