What's on The Workbench

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My newest Frankenstein under construction:

IMG20240210170038.jpg

IMG20240210170017.jpg

Perhaps anybody have a picture of this one?:
xNdzQu0.png

The only picture I have is:
mustang-p-51a-76th-fs-23rd-fg.jpg

if anything it's this one...

Judging by the pic you posted above the blue outline rather not. The time line for the kind of the US marking was June 29th, 1943 to August 14th, 1943. But IIRC it could be in use slightly longer. The pic is dated on 1943. So the red outline is likely the most. The profile in your post above is dated on 1944. And the blue outline would be correct. What is more the name "Lynn" can be found of the yellow colour.

In the photo, it looks like the red border, but the second aircraft in line (101) appears to have the blue border, looking even darker due to being re-painted over the original red.
This was fairly common, and it was not unusual to see both red and blue borders, and the red continuing quite some time after the order to change colour, due to time constraints etc.

Hmm.. there is about a week, before I will apply decals. I have blue border stars, but can find also red ones- no problem, but which ones?.
I can't find LYNN writing also.., if yellow, than red borders should look black in orthochromatic film...
Thanks for your professional suggestions, and perhaps something more appears, cheers!

If you apply the stars with the blue outline it should be fine. The apparance of the aircrfat should change from 1943 to 1944. The name decal also shouldn't be a problem for scratch making.

Pretty crappy looking in the close up pics, but this is an Airfix 1:72 Spitfire Mk.Ia I'm quickly making for a British workmate who just retired.

All 'Out of box' so far, but thinking of adding seatbelts to hide the chunky seat a bit.
Was hoping to have had it done for the big dinner this Friday, but running out of time. I'll do my best.
20240318_223003.jpg

Not well this week, so just back at this tonight. Betsy will get it at a later date.
Want to add seatbelts yet to the seat to hide the thickness and the shoddy paint work!
The top of the gunsight will be removed and replaced with clear film too.
20240322_002316.jpg

20240322_005146.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back