What's on The Workbench

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

While i'm waiting for my FW190 to come in the post, I'm trying to scratchbuild a bomb trailer for the Corsair dio. I've made it from memory, I saw a pic of an old WW2 US Navy bomb trailer a couple of days ago and I can't find it again! The framework is made from strips of styrene and stretched sprue. Wheels will be from a 1/72 vehicle kit I have in the stash.

Painting it up tomorrow.

Thanks fellas! Spent the afternoon finishing the trailer, the wheels are from a 1/76 Revell Wespe, tyres are o-rings from work (don't tell the boss!) Scratchbuilt some chocks for the warbird too. Just need the figures now.

Looks brilliant M! Figures? An easy conversion of the Tamiya 1/48th scale Panzer Servicing Crew - already in coveralls, and there are tools, ladders, work bench etc in the kit, which has, IIRC, 8 or 9 figures. Better value, with all the 'extras', than a dedicated set.

Cheers fellas! Thanks for the tip on the figures Terry. I was going to use some ICM figures in a P-51D kit i've ordered, one ground crew sitting on the wing, one standing talking to the pilot (also standing). But today I decided to try using the pilot provided with this kit, he's posed to stand on the starboard wing beside the cockpit about to jump down. I thought I might try and change his pose so he'd be standing on the front of the port wing talking to two ground crew beside the trailer. I heated his left leg to move it and his foot curled up! It looked like he had a club foot. I cut it off and tried modelling a new foot with milliput. I still need to do a bit of work on it when the milliput has fully hardened. I broke his right arm and glued it posed down a bit, then filled the crack with milliput. I think it looks ok.

I have a few ground crew figures from a Tamiya A6M5 kit, they have shorts on and sleeves rolled up, they're japanese though! But if I paint one with red hair and the other blond, they might pass for yanks.

That pilot looks sound M. Little tip on figure conversion if you don't mind me offering advice. Try to avoid using heat, as, unlike 'conventional' moulded parts, figures often have 'semi-hollow' limbs, which WILL deform, as you found out! It's always better to gauge what you want, then make 'strategic cuts', which can then be moulded-in with the ever-helpful Milliput.
Good idea for the Japanese groundrcrew, should work OK. Have a look at that Tamiya kit the next time you're in the LHS; the figures can be used for most situations, and altered as required, as Ii think I paid £7.99 at Model Hobbies for the one that's in my stash, and I'll be getting a couple more.
Anyhow, I think your Corsair, pilot and ground crew will look great when it's all together. Looking forward to the pics mate.

Users who are viewing this thread