Whats the speed of dark ? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

In Genesis, God is reported to have said, "Let there be light!".

From this we can derive the plausible conclusion that dark somehow arrived 'there' first, and hence further make the plausible and parsimonious inference that it did so because dark is inherently faster than light. As light possesses a maximum velocity (in vacuum) of 300,000 km/sec, it follows that dark has a MINIMUM velocity (in vacuum) of 300,000+ km/sec
No mention of "Let there be dark!" then...

Dark is slow because of slowness of mass. As we all know the darkest thing in the universe is a black hole, a colapsed star. This colapsed star presumely has great mas (hence sucking up light). Great mass means great slowness, according to my physics books, hence dark is slow...

Dark is slow because of slowness of mass. As we all know the darkest thing in the universe is a black hole, a collapsed star. This colapsed star presumely has great mass (hence sucking up light). Great mass means great slowness, according to my physics books, hence dark is slow...
There is not (necessarily) anything special about the mass of a black hole, it is its density that is special. The mass isn't greater than that of a healthy star and from a distance, the gravitational pull of a black hole is correspondingly no different either. It is because you can get so close to the total mass of a black hole that its gravity is so enormously strong.

I would say, after sucking up all mass in the neighbourhood, the mass will be greatly increased
Explain?
If there are 50 Euro coins distributed randomly around my house and I collect them up and put them in a jar, will they magically become 51?

The mass stays the same but the density of the entity (my coins) has become much greater

Just don't leave your Euro jar anywhere that it gets dark or dark may get your Euros! After all, I hear that "Darkness begats dishonesty"...

BTW, does anyone have any info regarding the intimate detalls of how, or with who, darkness begats all those little dishonesties? And no, I don't want the 900 number...

Oh yeah, maybe darkness isn't really faster than light. Mebbe it gets ahead by cheating.

JL

I think you first need to define dark and go from there. To me dark is absent of mass, volume, etc so therefore it can't travel or move in the general sense.

If dark exists as a tangible object, then that just blew the big bang theory out the window. not to mention the bible.

I couldn't sleep, so I decided to try to get at least some basic measurements of dark, in order to establish a possible speed, if any. The problem was, as it was dark, I couldn't see to measure anything !

I agree with the principle that "dark" as such is just the absence of light. Therefore it would follow that, if one wanted to give it a speed it would be the speed of light because it can only come as fast as the light can leave. If one turns off a light in a room it cannot be completely dark until all the light is gone.
Furthermore I read a comment earlier that said that light was not a "beam" as such. I would disagree with this, the only reason you can't see the been shooting away from you is because it's moving so fast. Our eyes can't pick up something traveling over the speed of sound let alone the speed of light.

Hmm, that's my rant for the day anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back