Where to buy weight? To prevent tailsitting (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A run.... no. First of all , before you can start refueling with T-Stoff and then C-Stoff you have to clysterize in order to have all pipes clear. :lol:

Believe this has been posted before. Lead is 11.3g/cm3 relatively dense but tungsten is 19.5g/cm3 close to 2X denser and it can be purchased in various forms/shapes. I use a tungsten putty formulation which is totally non-toxic and easily moldable into any shape. It can be found at almost any sporting goods outlet under the name Tung Fu about $9 per ounce.
Wurger's idea of using iridium, the 2nd densest element: 22.53g/cm3 is an excellent one if you are willing to shell-out $635USD/ozt (troy ounce: 31.1g)
Osmium is a bit denser: 22.59g/cm3 and cheaper: $400USD/ozt about $13/g unfortunately it reacts violently with oxygen forming a highly toxic tetroxide which if not inhaled is absorbed through the skin.

Last edited:
Think I'll stick with the lead shot and Plasticine - cheapest of the lot, easy to use, low tech and no mucking about re-inventing the wheel. No need whatsoever to use messy glues to hold it in place, the Plasticine does that, and moulds into the contours of the model whilst at the same time adding weight. KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid ......

Wurger's idea of using iridium, the 2nd densest element: 22.53g/cm3 is an excellent one if you are willing to shell-out $635USD/ozt (troy ounce: 31.1g)

Mike you should have added that the Iridium could be found with the Platinum together usually. :lol:

I still say gold is the way to go...not only will it keep your rig on all 3 points, but it's a clever way to stash your investment where no one would think of looking...

and keep your wife / girlfriend / mom from throwing the stinking things out in the trash!

You know gold sounds better and better, at 19.3g/cm3 it's just a bit less dense than tungsten but at $76 per gram kinda pricy. Think I'll stick to the tungsten putty at $9 per oz
Terry, the tungsten putty is fully moldable and totally non-toxic and requires no bonding agent to hold it in place. The same sporting goods stores should also have tungsten fishing weights which are required in many parts of the US where lead is banned in an attempt to keep it out of the envirnoment
Wurger, you are correct iridium is always found along with native platinum, about 0.001ppm in platinum ores. Gold is 40 times more common. On the other hand if you can find a nice metorite, iridium is .5ppm

Last edited:
Terry, EXCELLENT, I have a few models where space was limited and the model large. I took a piece of the clear plastic tree from the window parts and glued it to the tail. It is hardly noticeable in the display case

In all honesty, my Dad showed me how to do that with plain old steel nuts, they fit into the nose well enough...I believe he was helping me with two kits that my Uncle Bill gave me, the Hawk F2H2 Banshee and the F9F Panther kits (both of which my Uncle Bill flew) and they worked like a charm!

Oddly enough, this is the first time I've thought of this since then...that was way back around 1969-1970...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back