Which Air Force would you have liked to fly with in WW2

Which Air

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My apologies, no disrespect to the RNZAF intended :oops:.

I did however specify the Pacific where yes they were active but maybe not as much as the USN, USMC etc.

Yes - not only the BOB but probably every theatre / campaign fought by the RAF. Neither must one forget leaders such as Keith Park.

Changed my mind. I'ill be true to my avatar and fly for the RAF Coastal Command. :)
Sunderlands, PBY Catalinas, and B24s all the way out into the gray expanses of the Atlantic.

Not the most glamorous tasks but vital.

While in general I would have preferred to serve in the Finnish Air Force, that being a rather small band of skilful and very motivated people and was one of the least "Spit and polish " type air force in the world IMHO the odds against which they fought were so big and water being here in springs and in autumns so cold and there was no rescue service to speak, so I choose RAF in Med area late in the war. Flying Spit Mk VIII over Italy, I know that winters there are not nice but they are anyway mild if compared what they are here. Italy also had mountainous areas but here there are vast forests. And in Italy red wine supply was indefinitely better.

Juha

karlov_2.jpg
ivanov_2.jpg

Lucky will understand my choice .. .:) ... rugged and good machines.

MM

I never realized the engine was THAT close to the pilot in a P-39, imagine the heat in the summer, and what will likely happen in a crash landing.

And look a the second picture, the cover on the front tire, to prevent sun damage to the rubber tire I guess.

"... what will likely happen in a crash landing."

Myth. Experience showed that the engine compartment stayed "put" and they pancaked (wheels up) in like penguins in the snow ..... :) [Minimal repairs]

Then there was that poor bast**d who landed wheels down on the ice .... and undid his safety harness before ... just in case. He was long dead when the plane sank through in the Spring.

Life.

MM

Attachments

• p39a.jpg
    p39a.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
I guess with the propeller not directly connected to the engine there was nothing to apply force to the engine to tear it from the engine mounts. But it's still got a strong structure up front for the 37mm cannon. Might have been one of the safer WW2 aircraft to crash land in.

".... Was the door considered an advantage or disadvantage Michael?"

Not enough so the British didn't use it (the door) on early Typhoons, John .... :) .... actually .... both doors were jettisonable .... though the pilot's left was awkward to access. I don't think bail-outs were a big issue ..... roll right .... loose straps ... lose door .... voila. No harder than inverting IMHO :).

You could roll the windows too, but not at flying speed .... :)

MM

Attachments

• phoon3.jpg
    phoon3.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
You mean you couldn't hang your elbows on the window sills at 250 kts ? That must have been hell.

i would have thought that procedure in any forced landing would have been to unlatch the door....not open it all the way just unlatch it. if the landing bows the airframe the door could be jammed shut and the pilot not able to get out. if the door was ajar the frame could flex but the door remain free to be opened.

.... maybe it was, bobby. :)

All I know was that Soviets would always try to limp back to airfield as opposed to jumping because the odds of crash landing wheels up were that good.

MM

I hate rain, and fear drowning, so the Pacific is out. I hate cold, and the 'ole drowning thing, so flying for the Brits or U.S. from England is out. The cold wipes out Russia. Then again I hate dust, and too hot, so out goes any Air Force in Africa. In my mind that leaves me with the 15th AF / 325th FG in Italy. Lovely Mediterranian weather. Put me in a Warhawk, Thunderbolt, Lightning, Mustang, Spitfire. Wait, I will stay down low, and in warmer air and closer to base in the P-40!

".... Was the door considered an advantage or disadvantage Michael?"

Not enough so the British didn't use it (the door) on early Typhoons, John .... :) .... actually .... both doors were jettisonable .... though the pilot's left was awkward to access. I don't think bail-outs were a big issue ..... roll right .... loose straps ... lose door .... voila. No harder than inverting IMHO :).

You could roll the windows too, but not at flying speed .... :)

MM

I hope the windows were wind down so one could causally flick a fag end out before engaging with Jerry. :lol:
But, then again you had to go the 'right school' to have the correct level of languid arrogance :rolleyes:

John

I think the Portugese Air Force would have been the best Air Force to fly in during World War Two.

I am American of English and Italian ancestry.

So, USAAC (later USAAF) or USN. Since hitler was an evil piece of filth, had I been German, I hope had I sufficient morals to emigrate before fighting for him. Mussolini was a bombastic ass; I'd not want to fight for him, either.

I am American of English and Italian ancestry.

So, USAAC (later USAAF) or USN. Since hitler was an evil piece of filth, had I been German, I hope had I sufficient morals to emigrate before fighting for him. Mussolini was a bombastic ass; I'd not want to fight for him, either.

So if you were German and did not leave Germany and immigrate, you lacked sufficient morals?

Really? Seriously?

:rolleyes:

Really looking forward to this response...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back