Which Air Force would you have liked to fly with in WW2

Which Air

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I would go US for at least three reasons.

The first was Training. Just about every pilot was in training for a year from pre-flight through Advanced and the weather for training enabled not just US but also RAF, RCAF, etc pilot training to be accomodated.

Not really familiar with the RCAF being trained in the US however the USAAF was a very large recipient of trained instructors from the RCAF post Pearl Harbour which probably expedited the training of USAAF crews. For those not aware over 8000 Americans joined the RCAF pre Pearl Harbour some 6000 opted to join the USAAF after Pearl many of these were instructors that continued in this role in the US

Ah, I have to say USAF. The Luftwaffe had very talented pilots, but in terms of survivalbility, the US has an advantage. I'd say RAF, but I wouldn't understand all the English dialect.:)

I say Old chap, cant understand the Old English Idiom What What. Toodle Pip Old Boy!

Some threads motivated me to fly for the IJN in a A6M2/3 just to get to shoot at Wildcats. :lol:

I can tell you the one I would not want to fly with for sure, I would not want to fly with any Japanese outfit.

I say, I'd rather give it a go with the RAF boys.
Excellent training at the outbreak of war, wonderful aircraft, and being given the chance of flying a Supermarine Spitfire, anyone?
Tally-Ho, lads! :lol:

*whispers*...or of course the Luftwaffe. Bril aircraft, shi**y leaders, darned good pilots. ;)

United States Army Air Forces or US Naval Aviation

As previously stated below, a wide variety of excellent machines to fly, great training and logistical support 2nd to none.

Not to mention being on the winning side. :)

TO

The USAF did not do anything during WW2. I would preffer to be in the USAAC. They at least did a lot. Still like the USN more with the Enterprise.
You lost me there, Skip...

The USAAC (United States Army Air Corps) became the USAAF (United States Army Air Forces) on 22 June 1941, and later broke away from the Army and became it's own branch, the USAF (United States Air Force) on 18 September 1947.

So actually, the USAAC didn't see action in WWII...

You lost me there, Skip...

The USAAC (United States Army Air Corps) became the USAAF (United States Army Air Forces) on 22 June 1941, and later broke away from the Army and became it's own branch, the USAF (United States Air Force) on 18 September 1947.

So actually, the USAAC didn't see action in WWII...

no USAAC was a branch of USAAF in '41 - '47 so it combat

The survey first listed USAF and it has since been changed. All I was pointing out that many people posted that they liked the USAF during WW2 when it was not around yet.

Yes could you also include the USN, USMC, IJN, Fleet Air Arm etc in Part II :)

I voted for the RNZAF - I'm not a Kiwi but a.) They flew the F4U (my favourite fighter) well built and radial powered; b.) they didn't see that much action at least in the Pacific which is what I have in mind.

All the other air forces mentioned generally had a tough time in their respective theatres, some more than others. Survival rates for most were pretty bad at some point or other.

BTW interesting poll !!

In no particular order....

Luftwaffe for its geniality(?), well, most of the time anyway....
USAAF/USN for pure strength....
RAF for the spirit etc,...
VVS (Soviet Union) for the ruggedness(?)....
...and so on.

Yes could you also include the USN, USMC, IJN, Fleet Air Arm etc in Part II :)

I voted for the RNZAF - I'm not a Kiwi but a.) They flew the F4U (my favourite fighter) well built and radial powered; b.) they didn't see that much action at least in the Pacific which is what I have in mind.

All the other air forces mentioned generally had a tough time in their respective theatres, some more than others. Survival rates for most were pretty bad at some point or other.

BTW interesting poll !!

The RNZAF was very much in tough combat I believe 103 kiwis in BoB and were very active in the Pacific

Users who are viewing this thread

Back