Which WWIIcountry is in the frontier of the aerospace?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yep, Johnny Horton, after the other post, just had to put it here. Remember, he also did "Sink the Bismark!" I think he wanted to keep things fair for our British Buddies! 8)

plan_D said:
Throught careful study... :study: and typing on that, there, internet... :computer: ...it has come to my conclusion Flyboy, that I should do this... :thebirdman:

:lol: :wave:

:lol: :lol: OK this is for you....

In May of l941 the war had just begun
The Germans had the biggest ship, they had the biggest guns
The Bismark was the fastest ship that ever sailed the sea
On her deck were guns as big as steers, and shells as big as trees.

Out of the cold and foggy night came the British ship, the Hood
And every British seaman, he knew and understood
They had to sink the Bismark, the terror of the sea,
Stop those guns as big as steers and those shells as big as trees.

We'll find that German battleship that's making such a fuss,
We gotta sink the Bismark cause the world depends on us. We'll hit the decks a-runnin' boys and spin those guns around
Yeah, and when we find the Bismark we gotta cut her down!

The Hood found the Bismark, and on that fatal day
The Bismark started firing fifteen miles away
"We gotta sink the Bismark!" was the battle sound
But when the smoke had cleared away, the Mighty Hood went down.

For six long days and weary nights they tried to find her trail.
Churchill told the people, "Put every ship asail,
For somewhere on that ocean, I know she's gotta be
We gotta sink the Bismark to the bottom of the sea!"

We'll find that German battleship that's making such a fuss
We gotta sink the Bismark cause the world depends on us
We'll hit the deck a-runnin' boys and spin those guns around
And when we find the Bismark we gotta cut her down.

The fog was gone the seventh day, and they saw the morning sun.
Ten hours away from homeland the Bismark made its run.
The admiral of the British fleet said, "turn those bows around,
We found that German Battleship and we're gonna cut her down!"

The British guns were aimed and the shells were coming fast,
The first shell hit the Bismark, they knew she couldn't last
That mighty German battleship is just a memory.
"SINK THE BISMARK!" was the battle cry that shook the seven seas!

We found that German battleship that was making such a fuss.
We had to sink the Bismark cause the world depends on us.
We hit the deck a-runnin' and we spun those guns around, yeah, and when we found the Bismark, we hadda cut her down!

evangilder said:
RG_Lunatic said:
It was either you or Lanc or one of the Brits on this forum. I made my original statement in reply to that comment which kicked this whole thing off...

Don't you really think you should determine who you are making a point with, rather than to put all "the Brits" in one basket?

Once again, this is a forum for discussion of WWII aviation, not country bashing. You said that one should speak out against intolerance, well I am speaking now.

I did not put all the Brit's in one basket, I simply pointed out that it was one of the Brits - I think Lanc or Plan_D, that made the original comment that got me kinda pissed off. I tried to ingore it, but it kept nawing at me, so I made a comment in reply in a very general way. Finding the offending post amoungst all the threads that I follow would be very time consuming, but I guess I should do so.

Let me be clear, of all the other nations in the World I respect the modern Brtish the most, dating from about the time Churchill took over in 1940 onward. What I don't like is the attitude that a few of the Brits on this board have taken up, which amounts to nothing other than regular subtle jabs at America.

=S=

Lunatic

I think the majority on this board would find that last statement hard to believe but okay.

Nice song, by the way, Flyboy.

plan_D said:
If not for the British then America, Germany, Russia, France or anyone would never have had the jet engine [basing it off firsts as the only one with a clue].

THAT IS ABSURD!

Hans von Ohain began his development of the tubojet engine in Germany in the early 1930's quite independantly of Frank Wittle's work at about the same time.

It is the nature of technological development that when the conditions are right a thing is invented. Often this has resulted in the same thing being independantly developed in more than one place at almost the same time.

In the worst case, the jet engine would have been developed perhaps 10 years later even if Frank Wittle and Hans von Ohain had never been born. It was a rather obvious invention so it probably would have happpened sooner than that.

=S=

Lunatic

deargod_stop.jpg

A lot of local patritotism, here?

I agree with RG, the jet engine has independent roots. Some of them can be traced further back than the twenties (Lorin). To come to space (still part of the aerospace topic) you need more than jet engines anyway. Rocketry was far ahead in Germany than anywhere else in 1945. I always wondered, why the US did not keep up the good work done by Goddart in the early 30´s. I think he managed the very first transsonic speed of an object (bigger than a round, grenade or shell) in controlled level flight as well as important work in understanding of gyroscopic guidiance.

Goddard is kind of an enigma. He kept alot of his findings to himslef, claiming that he wanted better data. It could be that he saw the destructive capability and wasn't keen on that (purely a speculation on my part, not based on facts). Either way, his findings were promising but not very well known.

RG said:
What I don't like is the attitude that a few of the Brits on this board have taken up, which amounts to nothing other than regular subtle jabs at America

you know the strangest thing just happened to me, a pot just came up to me and called me black.........

evangilder said:
RG_Lunatic said:
It was either you or Lanc or one of the Brits on this forum. I made my original statement in reply to that comment which kicked this whole thing off...

Don't you really think you should determine who you are making a point with, rather than to put all "the Brits" in one basket?

Once again, this is a forum for discussion of WWII aviation, not country bashing. You said that one should speak out against intolerance, well I am speaking now.

I completely agree with you, thank you.

FLYBOYJ said:
Yep, Johnny Horton, after the other post, just had to put it here. Remember, he also did "Sink the Bismark!" I think he wanted to keep things fair for our British Buddies!

Great song. I have it on an original vinyl record!

RG_Lunatic said:
Finding the offending post amoungst all the threads that I follow would be very time consuming, but I guess I should do so.

Everyone else could probably do the same. :shock:

RG_Lunatic said:
What I don't like is the attitude that a few of the Brits on this board have taken up, which amounts to nothing other than regular subtle jabs at America.

The same can be said of you also in many of your comments about other countries. No I am not talking about military stuff but they way you talk about people from other countries.

That is why I agree with evengilder that this absolutly has to stop!

By the way RG_Lunatic is right about the engine development. The Germans were developing one exactly at the same time the British were. So the British were not responsible for it.

Hans Joachim Pabst von Ohain (December 14, 1911-March 13, 1998) was one of the inventors of jet propulsion, along with Frank Whittle. Born in Dessau, Germany, he earned a Ph.D. in Physics and Aerodynamics from the University of Göttingen

After receiving his degree in 1935, Ohain became the junior assistant of Robert Wichard Pohl, then director of the Physical Institute of the University of Göttingen.

In 1936, while working for Pohl, Von Ohain earned a patent on his version of jet engines. He then joined the Heinkel company in Rostock, Germany and, sponsored by Ernst Heinkel, developed a successful liquid-fueled engine, the HeS.3B engine, while Heinkel's firm designed an experimental aircraft for the engine to be installed in, the Heinkel He 178. This resulted in the first jet engine powered aircraft flight on August 27, 1939 near Rostock from the Heinkel Airfield. Von Ohain developed a second improved engine, the He S.8A, which was first flown on April 2, 1941. This engine design, however, was less efficient than one designed by Anselm Franz, which powered the Me 262, the first operational jet fighter.

In 1947 von Ohain was brought to the United States by Operation Paperclip and went to work for the United States Air Force at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. In 1956 he was made the Director of the Air Force Aeronautical Research Laboratory and by 1975 he was the Chief Scientist of the Aero Propulsion Laboratory there.

In 1991 von Ohain and Whittle were awarded the Charles Stark Draper Prize for their work on turbojet engines.
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_von_Ohain"

yes i didn't want to put too fine a point on it but RG is being quite the hypocrit as he complains about our atitude towards americans, he thinks that america single handedly saved the world several times over, it's because of people like him that we have this attitude....

As a Brit who received some adverse comments from other Brits for sticking up for the Marshall PLan. Plus some other comments from members of other countries for mentioning the Airbus
Can I ask that we stick to discussing aviation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back