Why 70s American cars were terrible

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I will stand corrected on that one then :lol: But my general experience is that US cars are, in the main, still built with a short life expectancy compared to European and Japanese counterparts.

For the most part I will actually agree with you...

Wasn't the Anagram the latest sports-hatch from Hyundai ?!
Have to admit I've had a '95 Jeep Cherokee for over 5 years now, and it just goes on and on. Got a slight electrical problem at the moment no one can solve (!), but I'm sure it's just a broken connection somewhere. The MPG is around 18 around town, which hurts, but on a long run, especially with cruise control, it's between 25 and 30, which isn't bad for a 4 litre engine. I will say though, that although it's well built overall, there are some very poor areas, such as the tangle of wiring, and some of the plastic fittings such as the seat back adjuster - which always falls off ! I do wonder if ther build quality owes something to its designed off-road role, where it is better made and stronger than the average American car I've had experience of.

At least back in the day, you could fix your own car, without having to have one or several Phd, Dr, Prof or anything like that....you could actually see where the sparkplugs were!

My dad just bought a 2010 Toyota Camry and my moms had a 2005 Honda Pilot since It came out. She has 270,000 miles on hers and my dad has about 9,000 on his.

I will stand corrected on that one then :lol: But my general experience is that US cars are, in the main, still built with a short life expectancy compared to European and Japanese counterparts. Also, 18-20mpg would induce heart attcks here, I felt very hard done by getting 36-37 out of my 1.6 litre Astra! (Although, granted, the US gallon is somewhat smaller than the Imperial measure)

I'm looking at upgrading in the near-ish future to a Seat Leon 1.6 TDi. It uses the VW Group engine, which achieves about 60 to the gallon and emissions are so low that it is exempt from UK road tax. More money to spend on filling it up and blasting around the countryside in it! 8)

BT, I would have to disagree with you with one example. GM 3.8 liters are/were exceptionally reliable motors. Best motor GM ever produced IMO. My parents had two 3.8 equipped GM FWD cars, and both motors went over 200,00 miles. The motor in a 87 Buick actually went into a Oldsmobile with a bad motor when the Buick's transmission went out. At that point the Buick's engine had 230,000 miles on it, we drove the Olds for another 20K, and then sold the car. The only thing we ever had to do to that motor was changed it's timing chain at one point. I know personally of several friends and co workers who had cars equipped with the 3.8 that had similar results. The cars actually gave out before the engines did, but with over 200,00 miles, it's hard to blame them.

At least back in the day, you could fix your own car, without having to have one or several Phd, Dr, Prof or anything like that....you could actually see where the sparkplugs were!

I miss my first car, a Mk1 Corsa, for exactly that reason. It only went to the garage for servicing, and once to have a new thermostat on the radiator fan. My dad didn't think dropping the radiator out on the drive would be a great idea... :lol:

Well all our big road trips and driving me and my brothers around and work. Yes. Errr typo 2003....

Also we did have my grandpa's 1993 Jeep Cherokee and it started have some problems 2 yearrs ago so we let my cousin have it

Last edited:
Lucky13, please enjoy.

Attachments

• amc_pacer_jean-charles.jpg
    amc_pacer_jean-charles.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 967
  • amc_pacer_maroon_1975.jpg
    amc_pacer_maroon_1975.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 666
  • 1-amc-pacer.jpg
    1-amc-pacer.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 1,652