Will be in Europe for 3 weeks this Summer

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Slight correction to John's post - up to Birmingham is reasonable. Around Birmingham is probably acceptable to those who are forced to live there, although the dialect is conducive to suicide.
Once 60 or so miles north of Birmingham, it gets better and better, with the Cheshire plain rising to the hills and moors of the Pennines, and then up to the beautiful Lake District (if they had a lake in the South, they'd try to drink it - probably better than what passes for their beer!). Head East from the Lakes, and you'll find the wonderful, rugged beauty of the Northumberland fells and coast line, with all the castles (built to keep out the ancient southerners, who, back then, realised things were much better 'up North!).
Above that is Scotland. That's where Jan lives, so visit at your own risk .....

Harrison, I have to let you into a little secret...the 'northern English' are completely bonkers. They believe that the cold, uninviting, cheerless and drab part of our sceptred isle they inhabit to be 'lovely'... we southern English allow them their delusions rather like the Scots who think they are truly independent...:)
For a first time visitor you will be much better off staying in the south as all the real money, taste, poise and culture is here for you to sample.

Just join the queues, don't complain loudly about appalling service and attitude, the cost of everything, the weather or that the trains are late. :)

Cheers
John

Enthusiastic would be another word if you mean football supporters :)

Being one of the English boys is fantastic and I would recommend Harrison to go to a decent football game whilst in Blighty.

If you have time, the RAF museum, the Imperial war museum and Greenwich are definitely worth a visit.
The north of England ( ie anything beyond Watford), Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are best 'toured' on google earth .
Its much safer for a young American.

OI! South Wales isn't too bad (well actually it is at times), does give a new meaning to the phase "the weather is miserable", it's even worse than Scotland in that respect it seems (minus the snow in summer)...

I'd still be down here until mid-July but would be into exams and a med student around exam times is not a fun person to be around...

And that being said there is f*ck all to do for the most part unless you fancy surfing or walking or looking at the rain fall...

Second most people list of things to do, Imperial War Museum, RAF museum, HMS Belfast are all well worth it. As a most of the other museums in London, Churchill War Rooms are worth a look if you get the chance. Other than that if your friends has relatives over here, I'm sure they'd have some times as well.

Note that John mentioned the trains running late. Up here in the north, where the real wealth is, such forms of dirty, noisy, public transport are considered uncouth, and a refined, gentlemanly individual would not consider using such forms of conveyance. Apart from that, we have nice roads in our unspoilt, open countryside, where we can use cars, without having to struggle through the heavy traffic, smog and filth of the over-crowded, built-up regions in the south, thereby allowing us to enjoy the clean air, and travel around easily, enjoying also the realistic prices of items, normally served by individuals who don't have English as a second language, and can relate tales of the area(s) dating back to the time of their Great Grand Parents.
Oh, and that was a time when it wasn't p*ss*ng down all the time !!
England is known as a 'Green and pleasant land' - that's because of the mould, from all the bl**dy rain! Even the Sea Gulls wear raincoats and wellies!

The glorious football season doesn't start in August and then its great, every Saturday with fans traversing our green and pleasant land. Well, green and pleasant up till Birmingham then its pretty grim. You cannot understand a word, the food is vile, the beer warm and the women frightening. In Leeds you are considered anorexic if you are below 19 stone. For the full 'English experience' venture to Plymouth were at least you get stabbed with a clean knife...

There are a lot of things best not to say too...
Perhaps we should compile a list so your visit is enjoyable.

Like a home away from home really! :lol:

Don't spose any of you guys work for the tourism board do you? :)

All I can add is don't act like an ass,be polite,say hello and thank you in the native language of what ever country your in,remember everything from toilet paper to the foods you eat will be different,most important remember your in their country...But take it all in,there is so much culture and sights in Europe you will never see it all in one trip. Hopefully it will fuel the fire so that you visit again....Watch out for beggar/gypsie kids,they will steal your stuff faster than a speeding bullit. Watch your luggage also. Wear a wallet in your front pocket or get something that hangs around your neck with your important papers. Have fun and enjoy....

All I can add is don't act like an ass,be polite,say hello and thank you in the native language of what ever country your in,remember everything from toilet paper to the foods you eat will be different,most important remember your in their country...But take it all in,there is so much culture and sights in Europe you will never see it all in one trip. Hopefully it will fuel the fire so that you visit again....Watch out for beggar/gypsie kids,they will steal your stuff faster than a speeding bullit. Watch your luggage also. Wear a wallet in your front pocket or get something that hangs around your neck with your important papers. Have fun and enjoy....

Wise words my friend. Especially on how to act. You don't know how many times I have felt embarrassed when I saw how many of my fellow countrymen were acting when I lived in Europe. Granted most of then were 18 year old twerps away from home for the first time. Loud and rude. Saw one pull out his junk on train and walk up to all the women asking them if the wanted an "American ****". I wanted to beat the **** out of him. All I could do was apologize for his actions though.

Thanks for the advice guys

In Zurich, I know there are 3-4 languages the country speak, do they speak German mostly or French? because I can speak German well enough to get by

Last edited:
Most of the Europeans speak English nowadays. But it helps if you can say "Guten tag" and Danke, showing that at least you do a little effort in making yourself understood. For the rest most of us Europeans understand that you cannot learn all languages and will answer you in English. An exeption is the French. Many of them believe everyone should understand their great language. But maybe our (Dutch) reputation of speaking many languages count against me, so my experience is maybe not be the same as to what happens to Americans.
I believe in Geneva you could let yourself understood by speaking German, although you risk that the Swiss will talk back in their kind of German, kind of sing-along version of the German language which I find incomprehensible at times.

I learned "Berlin" style German from my grandparents. My wife's aunt and uncle came over and they spoke Swabian,holy smokes I couldn't understand anything.. Did better with Austrian. Point is if you think there's accents here in the states wait until you get to Europe, Even French is different between the Normandy area,Paris and southern France where I was born...Sure it's the same in England and other places too.

Thanks for the advice guys

In Zurich, I know there are 3-4 languages the country speak, do they speak German mostly or French? because I can speak German well enough to get by

They mostly speak German in Zurich.

Almost all western Europeans speak at least a lil English.

I find it utterly amazing that this young man has genuinely sought travelling wisdom to Europe with his young girlfriend and all you forum wankers tell him to do is drink beer, go to strip clubs, visit WWII sites and stay away from Lucky. Poor gal. She's gonna be miserable. :lol: :lol:

My suggestion is that you treat your lady friend with utmost respect. Save any hormonal intentions for when you get back. It's only 3 weeks.

Harrison, My French is appalling (trust moi) but, I always greet, order food and pay the bill leave in French and do my best. We have found a warm welcome in France as long as these courtesies are observed. There is a lot of very sensible advice given in earlier posts and I agree wholeheartedly with them.
Now, enough sage advice...come over here and enjoy yourself mate.
Cheers
John

Bring a rain coat, umbrella, boots, rubber dinghy and survival kit ...... and a large towel .........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back