WinXP users, be careful

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Marcel

rotartsinimdA
Staff
Admin
Mod
Sep 19, 2006
Dordrecht
www.redbeatband.nl
If you're using Windows XP and you get the Servicepack 3 update from Microsoft, make sure you first make a proper backup. If you can make an image with programs like Ghost, before updating. This way you can easlily return to your older system. If installed this service pack twice, with my father in law and my own laptop and both windows installs were not able to boot afterwards. It gave me the message that the OS was missing and didn't boot again. I figure the kernel was f##ked up. After I re-installed the damn computers with a fresh WinXP, I could install service pack 3 without any problems. I was glad I did a backup before, so I could put my files back...

Actually Marcel I would recommend every one to do major backups any time they do major upgrades or install something they think is important.

I lost my primary compture a couple of months ago to a lightning hit. I still have not recovered every thing I lost but a good majority of it was backed up to. Backing up seems like a waste of time but it hurts when you loose everything also.

Glad to here your back up and running though.

You should be backing up your data files as least weekly. My hard drives are backed up every night at midnight. If I lost my drives, I would lose somewhere in the range of 70-80,000 photos. That would suck! My photo biz is on my drive as well as all my family photos.

Plus I have backed up to external drive that I keep outside of the house just in case.

Therefore I don't like XP system.

To be honest Wurger, I think XP is one of the best microsoft has come up with as far as bug free goes. Ive used pretty much all of microsofts products including vista and me but when I got my new laptop I went back to XP

You should be backing up your data files as least weekly. My hard drives are backed up every night at midnight. If I lost my drives, I would lose somewhere in the range of 70-80,000 photos. That would suck! My photo biz is on my drive as well as all my family photos.

Plus I have backed up to external drive that I keep outside of the house just in case.

Now thats some serius backing up. I cant lie, I use the message board as kinda a backup system to. :oops: Ive uploaded enough stuff here thats for sure. :lol:

Vista is working allright, just like XP. It's the updating that gives you the problems. As long as I don't touch the OS, it works fine. In earlier days, when I still programmed on my home PC, I had to reinstall the system 3 times a year either XP, Win98, it didn't matter. This Vista installation I have on one of my PC's has been working fine for over a year, which is unique in my experience :lol:

I'll have to keep that in mind. I've never been one to back up my files, as I don't really have anything important on my computer. I wonder if the same thing can happen with Macs. I have a Dell PC right now, but I will also be getting a MacBook Pro for school, so I'll have to see if I can get the installation discs for their OS.

To be honest Wurger, I think XP is one of the best microsoft has come up with as far as bug free goes. Ive used pretty much all of microsofts products including vista and me but when I got my new laptop I went back to XP

Partially you are right Paul and I can agree with you to a certain extaend in the matter of course.But look,please, the XP OS has been offered for many years and there are still problems with its stable work.Many users complain their laptops and PCs cannot work properly becuse of new drivers or updating installation.Those older systems worked better I think.XP system is very complex and has too much options for settings that a common use is not able to find or know.It's true, the XP procedures work faster than other ones used in old OSs but you will win a can of the best Polish beer if there is a common user who is able to restore Xp system when crashed or he can answer where is the option for setting points of system restoration.Even more advanced users set these points seldom.

I've also heard that if you have an HP/Compaq system, SP3 tends to turn them into bricks. I have an HP, so I declined to run SP3. SP2 is working just fine on my old system, and Vista is running well on my new one, so I'm good either way. But I'll also agree with Eric.....ALWAYS back-up your system! Once a month, at least!

Partially you are right Paul and I can agree with you to a certain extaend in the matter of course.But look,please, the XP OS has been offered for many years and there are still problems with its stable work.Many users complain their laptops and PCs cannot work properly becuse of new drivers or updating installation.Those older systems worked better I think.XP system is very complex and has too much options for settings that a common use is not able to find or know.It's true, the XP procedures work faster than other ones used in old OSs but you will win a can of the best Polish beer if there is a common user who is able to restore Xp system when crashed or he can answer where is the option for setting points of system restoration.Even more advanced users set these points seldom.

I've had experience with windows from 95 until Vista and all in between. I disagree on the older versions being more stable. They crashed too often, the blue screen of death can still be seen burned in my old monitor which I don't use anymore. XP was definitely better. I hardly have any problems with VISTA anymore since programs adjusted to the new system. The better part of the newer versions being the better way to catch errors from the running programs. XP will usually continue to function, while the older 16 bit versions would give you another illigal error wit all problems comming with them.

I hung tightly to Win2000 for a long time and still like it best of all the Windows OSs. I have XP on one system at home and 2000 Pro on another. XP is pretty good as well. If there were another OS out there that would support the applications I have, I would be willing to try it.

I have run on MACs and on Ubuntu, Redhat, Solaris and Windows/DOS going back to DOS 2.0 and Windows 1.0! They all have their advantages and disadvantages. Windows offers compatibility that is insane, dissimilar hardware/versions, software of about every flavor. All are supported. Yes, there may be driver issues and things like that, but they can be resolved with updated drivers a majority of the time.

I have been thinking about a MAC for my next machine, mainly because as a photographer, MAC screens have much better color representation and my wife, who is very creative, loved the last MAC we had.

I've had experience with windows from 95 until Vista and all in between. I disagree on the older versions being more stable. They crashed too often, the blue screen of death can still be seen burned in my old monitor which I don't use anymore. XP was definitely better. I hardly have any problems with VISTA anymore since programs adjusted to the new system. The better part of the newer versions being the better way to catch errors from the running programs. XP will usually continue to function, while the older 16 bit versions would give you another illigal error wit all problems comming with them.

Vista is something different.It is really good system though it needs better hardware.I have had the system on my dayghter's laptop installed for over 1.5 year and nothing wrong has occured to that so far.
Win95 was totlly unstable working so it shouldn't be mentioned at all.Win98 was the kind of test when the Win98SE appeared.It works stable with machines from that time.The Win2000pro as well.My Win98SE was installed almost four years ago and it is still working properly.My mate's comp with XP OS had to be reinstalled many times during the period.But it is not the only example.

If you think XP is complecated then dont bother with Vista. Its even more complicated.

Unfortunateling we are still forcing to buy a new systems because of techological advance.Is there any "borderline" of it?

There is this OS called "ReactOS, open source.. It provides you with a less bulky system then WinXP/Vista and seems to be quite compatible. I keep an eye on that one as it seems promising, having an open source OS, with the same compatibility as Windows. It's still in alpha status, so it's not stable jet though

I just installed SP3 on my xp HP and it worked ok, It looks like its a bit slower downloading stuff but everything seems to be working.

Didn't have any problems after installing SP3 on my Desktop (laptop runs Vista SP1). Only thing I encountered was AVG wouldn't complete a full scan but that is fixed now. Haven't noticed any slowdown. I also back up all my files all the time, normally what I do is back up from my desktop to my laptop (and vice versa) all my photos are backed up on Flickr though as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back