World War II's first victim- August 31, 1939 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I guess this rather depends on how one defines the "start" of WWII. From the European perspective, I'd absolutely agree. However, the fighting in China had been going on for much longer. There are those who liken the aggression of Hitler and Mussolini merely as Euro-centric and don't count it as the start of WWII, indeed they count the inclusion of America in the war as the true start of WWII since, prior to that date, what we had was a discontiguous variety of largely unrelated smaller wars. I don't necessarily agree - the simple fact that America wasn't in the war prior to 7 Dec 41 did not mean that the broader American contininent was somehow excluded from the war (eg Battle of the River Plate).

Despite the inane rambling above, it's good to see that light is still being cast on forgotten aspects of history...particularly in this case because the victim wasn't military man. He was just a humble farmer trying to wring a living off the land.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back