Your favourite books?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

No order

Bluenoser tales
Catalogue of German military vehicles
Weapons of ww2
Encyclopedia of WW2 aircraft
Nightfighters by Shiffer Military
Osprey Anti Tank tactics of ww2
Squadron B-26 walkaround

But any suggestions for German bombers? Book wise. I know I didn't list 10 those were off the top of my head.

1. Miracle at Midway by Gordon Prange-Even after 20+ years, still a good one!
2. At Dawn We Slept also by Prange-Still the most comprehensive I've seen on Pearl.
3. The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by Bill Shirer-Great book and mine is a first edition.
4. Up Front by Bill Mauldin- I laughed when I was a kid and didn't really understand it. Now it is even better.
5. A Bridge Too Far by Cornelius Ryan-I saw the movie in the theater with Dad...Not Montgomery's best.
6. A General's Life: An Autobiography by Omar Bradley-May be the best officer in US service in WWII.
7. The Fast Carriers: The Forging of an Air Navy by Clark Reynolds-Really helped me to understand the feud between the aviators and the "Gun Club."
8. Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose-Interesting following a small unit through France.
9. The Great Escape by Paul Brickhill-Aside from being a great read, there is family history there.
10. The Lady Be Good by ?-Still a fascinating tale in my view.

In no particular order:

Stephen Ambrose: D-day

- same author: Citizen Soldiers

Geoffrey Wellum: First Light.

Poul Hansen: Kampen om Amalienborg - 19. september 1944. (The Struggle for Amalienborg)
A pretty accurate account about the danish police and the Royal Danish Life Guards' struggle against the german occupying forces, who tried to conquer Amalienborg Castle in Copenhagen, and get to the royal family. The germans didn't succeed. :thumbleft:

Carl Aage Redlich: 19. September 1944. About Operation Möwe, where the german occupying forces captured most of the danish police force and sent them all off to the Buchenwald concentration camp by train and by ship - M/S Cometa - from Jutland and Copenhagen.

Merete Demant Jacobsen: Gudindetilbederen. (The Goddess Worshipper).
The author's biography about her own parents. The author's father was one of the 8000 danish police officers, who got sent off to Buchenwald in 1944 (- which he survived), while his wife tried to make everyday life with a baby boy work.

Toliver and Constable: Fighter General.
- same authors: The Blond Knight of Germany.
Although I like both books, there is one point about them that I'm not too crazy about:
I think the books suffer a bit from the authors pretty obvious admiration, there's too little objectivity present in both books.

Hans-Ulrich Rudel: Stuka Pilot.
I like the no-nonsense, no-bulls*** style in Rudel's book.

Don Caldwell: The JG 26 War Diary, Vol. 1 2
- same author: JG 26: Top Guns of the Luftwaffe.

Last edited:
In no particular order (numbered only so I know when to stop), there's

1. "Baa Baa Blacksheep", Greg Boyington
2. "The Last Great Ace" by Charles A. Martin
3. "Patton: A Genius for War" by Carlo D'Este
4. "Devil At My Heels" by Louis Zamperini
5. "Currahee!" by Donald R. Burgette (also in the series, "The Road to Arnhem", "Seven Roads To Hell", and "Beyond The Rhine")
6. "Band of Brothers" by Stephen Ambrose (heck...ANYTHING by Ambrose!)
7. "An Army Dawn" by Rick Atkinson (followed by "The Day of Battle")
8. "Colditz" by Henry Chancellor
9. "In Harm's Way" by Doug Stanton
10. "I Could Never Be So Lucky Again" by Jimmy Doolittle

and so many, many more!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back