Yugoslavian Captured P-51D?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That is actually a sweet sounding bird :D

Thanks for all the info Igor! Really, really appreciate it.

Here is my captured P51. I picked this up in a dollar store some years back and its managed to follow me all that time. Then one day I decided to build it. I got the idea for the German version after an episode of Dog Fights. Its a real crappy model but it was my first step back into the hobby. Its a bit shinny and I will eventually give it a flat coat some day.

DSC03972.jpg

DSC03971.jpg

DSC03969.gif

Not trying to hijack thid thread or anything but I really want to make a 1/48 Luftwaffe p-51. I know cutting edge made some decals but I think there out of business. Do u no where I can get some decals?
Thanks
Jack
Cool and interesting choice btw! :)

No Harry. Interior colors on captured Fw 190 remained the same, while camouflage scheme was changed only on the places where German insignia was over painted.

The RAAF and RNZAF operated the Mustang -51D Harrison

Just thought I'd let you know

Hey Harry, didn't know you were interested in "our" birds...
The Mustang in question was not really captured, it landed on Yugoslav territory due to the battle damage and was abandoned by the pilot. Yugoslav mechanics repaired the plane to flying condition and she received improvised red star insignia. As you can see on the profile you posted its all original US insignia with one difference - white stars are over painted with red color. Otherwise nothing else indicates Yugoslav Air Force.
Igor, what happened with this Mustang after they repaired it?

Igor, what happened with this Mustang after they repaired it?

Not quite sure Roman. I'm having trouble finding details regarding this aircraft. I only found that this P-51D was regular mount of Lt. Bill Smith from 31st FG USAAF. It was damaged by ground fire during a raid on Kurilovec airfield in Slovenia. Pilot force landed and was found by Partisans.
Ultimate fate of the aircraft after it was repaired is not clear. Couldn't find info if this plane was even flown at all although several flights might have been conducted after all. Presumably plane was scrapped in 1946 because of lack of spare parts.
I found info on one Serbian forum that allegedly there are parts of one P-51 in depot of Aeronautical Museum in Belgrade, but couldn't verify this information. There are pictures of P-38 in museum depot but nothing on P-51 I'm afraid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back