<> **** DONE: 1/32 Corsair F4U-1A - WW1 / WW2 over Water.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the kind words guys! :thumbleft:

Time to get started on the P&W R-2800 Double Wasp radial engine. An awesome power plant and the reason for the Corsair's gull wing design (to accommodate ground clearance for the engine's large prop without making the landing gear too long). I've decided to represent the ignition wire conduits as they should be nicely visible through the cowl, so the first step was to drill holes at the spark plug locations. The cylinders were then painted Citadel Ironbreaker and given an oil wash.

cylinders web.jpg

Holes were also drilled in the outlets of the ignition harness before it too was painted Citadel Ironbreaker. 0.3 mm copper wire was then glued into the drilled out outlets with CA.

ignition ring web.jpg

Thanks for dropping by guys.

Quick update - cylinders, push rods, intake and exhaust pipes dry-fitted. Some push rods require minor adjustment when glued but as always fit is good.

cylinders fitted web.jpg

Ignition harness with conduits installed from post #62 fitted to assembly

ignition harness fitted web.jpg

Next step is to plumb it something like this:

14PrattWhitneyR2800DoubleWasp.jpg

More pics later after a wire cutting and bending session!

Awesome work Kirby! :magnifyglass:
The cleanliness, the order and the excellent way of applying the paint. My favorite sections in modeling: the cabin, the engines and the undercarriage ... and in your Corsair they are being a pleasure to enjoy your progress!

Sigo atento y felicidades amigo :thumbup:

Luis Carlos

Thanks for the kind words everybody and thanks for the complements Luis, Lo aprecio mucho amigo :salute:

The positioning of the ignition conduits went better than I thought. Additional holes were drilled in the overhead baffle plates to accommodate the conduits to the rear of the cylinders as per the reference photos. Wires were then cut to approximate length and manoeuvred into place with tweezers. After fixing into position if necessary with a small dab of CA, wires were toned down with matt varnish and a dark oil wash to approximate the colour of the real conduits. The gear reduction housing with magneto and distributors was then attached to the front.

engine1 web.jpg

engine2 web.jpg
engine3 web.jpg

Painted the exhausts and firewall and test fitted the engine. Did a bit of work with Tamiya rust pigment on the exhausts although it doesn't show up terribly well in the photo.

engine5 web.jpg

Engine is looking great! Don't forget the little pipe that extends from the bottom of the crank case.

Thanks John, I did miss that and didn't see your post until after I'd taken these photos. Attached now :):thumbright:

engine6 web.jpg

Summer holidays just about over so progress might slow considerably now :(

Beautiful work on the engine! Sigh... I envy you having fun at that scale. I think I need to do another 1/32 kit soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back