1/32 Ki-61-I Hien

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the comments all.

This Hien is starting to come together. I made some good progress over the last few days getting the natural metal base paint on and painting the tail. For the base paint I decided on Tamiya's natural metal airframe. This paint comes in a rattle can(which I decanted into my airbrush) and having seen its results on some other models I really liked the look of it. It has a fairly high brightness factor but has a matt look to it which I think represents a somewhat worn natural metal airframe. The other paint I had in my possession, Alclad airframe aluminum ( which I originally purchased to do my tamiya mustang) I found was much brighter and more glossy which was not the look I was going for with this model. I did use some Alclad II airframe aluminum for highlighting but I mixed it with Alclad dull aluminum to what else, dull it down. I used this mixture to do the highlights on the airframe and this can be seen on on the upper wing gun/ammo covers, wing tips, underside panels near the intake and also on the MG shell ejector panels. I also sprayed Alclad A/F aluminum, unmixed on the windscreen and canopy as I wanted these areas to be shiny to show that they might get this way as a result of the ground crew constantly cleaning the windscreen and canopy. The contrast might not show up in the end but hey I thought I would give it a shot. I had no problems with paint lift when taping off the highlighted areas. I did however de-tack the tamiya masking tape I used just to be sure I didn't have any problems. I could have done some more highlighting but felt that the Kawasaki green camo paint I will be using over the bare airframe will cover up most of these contrasted areas. I still have to do some touch ups on the I.D. panels and tail but I am pretty happy with the results.

Here are some shots of the progress. Hope you like em.

Last edited:
Hey thanks guys for checking in and taking the time to post your comments.

You know I didn't make it easy on myself with the yellow ID bands and red tail. For the ID bands as you can see from earlier posts I painted the yellow over the black. For the tail I painted red over natural metal paint. I should of asked you guys but I learned afterward that I could have painted these areas with a white base coat first in order for the yellow and red to go down a lot easier and not have to make as many passes with the airbrush to build up the colour.....Duh. lesson learned. I will keep this in mind for future builds. Us armour modelers don't often have to work with such bright colours so I was rather ignorant of this tip.

Cheers,

Dave.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread