1/32 Revell Spitfire MKIIa

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The biggest problem with this particular kit, is that it is possibly too accurate !
The mould tools are based on an airworthy aircraft at Duxford, and Revell seem to have got everything as it was on the 1:1 subject, including the lack of pilot's back armour, the later MkV type oil cooler, wing reinforcing plates, late style metal-skinned control surfaces, etc etc.
It's a shame that model manufacturers don't ask questions when given access to a genuine subject, given the amount of work involved in measuring, gaining detail photos etc etc, as quite a number of relatively minor errors, but which can make a big difference, could be avoided. An example is the relatively recent Airfix 1/48th scale Bf109E, a very nice kit, but it can't be built, OOB, as one of the options, an E-4, as the canopy has been modelled on the canopy that is on the RAF Museum's example, which is from a Buchon, and has the central, vertical frame !
BTW, the lens on the gun camera was normally inside the opening in the wing.

Yep, just remove the glazing, and leave the hole. The lens was far enough back that it could only be seen if peering directly into the opening, up close, so in this scale, just a simple hole will suffice.

Okay. I made the fix on the GC. Here she is.

Also, all decals are now on the underside. The roundels are the maketar masks all others are decals from the kit.

IMG_0594x700.JPG
IMG_0592a700.JPG

Hey I like the new look of the site. When did this happen? Sorry gents I haven't been around in awhile. Started a new job and its been hectic.
Thanks for all your kind comments.

Here's some progress. I can see the finish line on this one but I must say she's been slow and not often steady but we are getting there.
After doing the decals I set about doing the panel lines and putting a flat coat on her. Here's the work completed. Not sure if I mentioned this before but this aircraft has the metal ailerons that are from the kit. I initially used the resin wooden type that I got from Barracuda studios but learned afterward that most MKII's had the metal ailerons by spring 1941.

I didn't want too heavy of a panel line effect so I decide to use the Ammo by Mig Panel line solution for early RAF aircraft. Neutral brown for the upper fuselage and Storm grey for the underside.
IMG_0630[1431].JPG

IMG_0622x800.JPG

IMG_0624x800.jpg

IMG_0623x800.JPG

IMG_0611x800.JPG

IMG_0610x800.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back