1/32 Revell Spitfire MKIIa

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have a different FS reference than Wojtek for the blue, so for what it's worth:

Insignia Blue - FS35056 or BS381-110 Roundel Blue

Yep ... the colour FS 35056 is said to be used for pre-and post-war roundels of the lighter and more bluish tinge.

Here the comparison of both colours.

As the one can be used the Vallejo Model Air 71004 Blue - FS35056-RAL5002.

Last edited:
G'day David,

Yes, sorry..I did realise it was a placeholder. What I meant was that P8041, 2, 3, 4, 5,6,7,8,9 are ALL actual numbers, so if you want to go "ficticious" you could still have soemone say "Here's a picture of that aircraft and it wasn't like that." or "THAT serial number was a Hurricane" etc etc etc....

On the weekend I can probably find you a number close to that series which was not used for Spitfires or other RAF aircraft and therefore can be safely fictionalised. P8050 or P8051 look safe as they are in teh Spitfire II range but don't appear to have been built... just let me confirm over the weekend....

Yes, '40 - '49 were Spitfire II's, and, as said, mostly have very sad histories...

Hi Darryl,

Thanks very much for the input. The X was my attempt at a placeholder for a number such as P8041, P8042 or something along those lines would be fine. I suspect the Spitfires in this series were MKII's?

Thanks Wojtek and Andy, The first colour 35044 looks pretty good. The local Great Hobbies here just started stocking all the Vallejo Model Air colours. Not a big fan of their Model Air stuff but would be using them in minor way so should be okay.

Last edited:

That would be great Darryl. If you can swing it.

Much appreciated.

Hello David, since a few days I've been watching your thread and you've been working flawlessly until now.
The information, types and images of the formidable colleagues, make a feast enjoy while I'm taking some notes.

Saludos desde México City
Luis Carlos

Yep ... the colour FS 35056 is said to be used for pre-and post-war roundels of the lighter and more bluish tinge......

Yep, my mistake as I got these FS numbers for our Hurricane. The RCAF Hurricanes used in home defence retained the bright roundel colours.

Now, I'd have to check but I'm not sure that the dull blue colour represented by 35044 would have been used on the underside and on the fuselage roundels. Maybe someone knows for sure. Definitely would be used on the upper wing though for the time period represented by David's rig.

To be honest I thought the same Andy. But later had a look at a couple of images and noticed that the lighter shade of the roundel dull blue was caused by either the light backround around the colour or filters/light conditions a pic was taken with. Of course the dark or light colours the roundel overpainted might cause the effect too. Also the size of the area the dull blue covered is important.

Last edited:
Guys, I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, I was planning on painting the camo scheme free hand i.e. Dark Earth/Dark Green. Were Spitfires painted with a hard edge or soft edge? Free hand would give me a soft edge. From photos they look like they were done with a soft edge?

Second, anybody know where I can purchase a set of landing gear for an MKII. I buggered up the kit parts and while i managed to sort of fix them they have become an open loop in terms of getting them to the point that I am satisfied. SAC has some white metal ones but they are a little pricey and the detail is just a bit soft.

Actually the factory camo spots were of the soft edges. But the area of the softening of a line is very limited because of using masks or an airbrush of a nozzle of small diameter there. Therefore, in many pics, the camo may seem to be of hard edges. The scale effect can be achieved by using either quite thick masks or rolls of the Blue Tack. Of course all depends on the model scale. There is a difference for the 1/72 and 1/32 for instance. If we assume the line edge should be of 1cm sofftening on real plane it is 0.014mm for 1/72 and 0.03mm for 1/32. So.. if you can get a such thin line with your airbrush you may done that free-hand. If you don't , I would suggest using paper masking or the Blue Tack rolls. Also a plane could be repainted at a field by the maintenence crew. In the case the edges of camo spots could be of more softening because masking might be omited for the applying process.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread