1:32 scale Lancaster Mk.1 Hachette Partworks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Martin, David, Andy, Terry, Wurger, Ian and Gnomey. I hope you all enjoyed as relaxing a Christmas Day as we did.

Ian, In most of the reference shots I have, there are no cables visible on the Radio Op's table from the R1155 set, with the exception of to the morse key. However I have seen a diagram showing the cableing between the two sets. Perhaps they were usually tucked in beneath the R1155?. As the units haven't been installed yet I can easily add more cables if I can figure out where the runs go.

Cheers,

:x-mas: Gerry

Found this on the net Jerry:

1155_1154_cabling_c.jpg

Good to know you had a relaxing Christmas Gerry - by 21.00 hrs last night, I was as relaxed as a newt!
From what I remember from looking at the radios in situ, the cables were behind the two sets, virtually hidden behind the half bulkhead between radio and Nav stations,and beneath the table, with the antenna and remote cables on the port wall and roof.
These two pics, taken in PA474 (BBMF Lanc) and NX611 (East Kirby Lanc 'Jane), although not brilliant, show what they looked like. The chap at the radio is the late Ernie Evison, radio op on CF-O, 'Oozlum Bird', of 625 Squadron.

Attachments

• Can Jan 722.jpg
    Can Jan 722.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 162
  • Can Jan 559.jpg
    Can Jan 559.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 166
Ian, they run under the set, feeding to the 1154, instruments, and loop antenna respectively. One of the cables can be seen in the first pic I posted, with the others behind and between the 1155 and 1154, and up the port wall, going to the antenna housing.

Thanks again George, Andy, Terry, Bill, Wurger, Wayne, and Ian for taking the trouble to contribute to the build. Your opinions are always welcome and tend to keep me on the straight and narrow.

To reply to specific points: George, no I hadn't thought of that. Will check it out. I had thought a small bracelet charm maybe, but that could be expensive.

Andy and Ian, thanks for posting the reference. That's the diagram I was referring to in my previous post. I'm inclined to agree with Terry, as all the references I've found for the radio position both in original and restored aircraft seem to have the cables tucked away. Also I think that it's a bit of an academic point as, in scale, the cables will be hard to spot. It's black equipment in a black cabin - the black cat in the coal cellar at night, effect. I have added a loop of cable peeping out from under the R1155 and will add some in the short gap between the sets, if I think they will be seen. Thanks for the radio references Terry. It all helps to make the correct decision.

At the moment, I'm working on fashioning something that resembles the Type 4 Morse key and aerial switch unit out of scraps. Then I want to build some of the desk equipment for the Navigator's position. I'll post some pics when I'm a bit more advanced.

:occasion9: Happy New Year,

Gerry

Gerry, if you need it, I have a API here at home, which I'll gladly photograph for you. Also got a Lancaster bomb selector panel switch unit, if you need photos of that, and pics of the two main bomb sights.
The main wiring junction panel, under the radio table, might be worth attempting, in representative form, if you think it might be seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back