1:32 scale Lancaster Mk.1 Hachette Partworks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just a quick note regarding the 'Plus Model' lead wire - my LHS is out of stock, and having problems getting more. I've noticed that most of the on-line suppliers I use are in a similar position also. I don't know whether this is a temporary thing, or perhaps it's been withdrawn, or maybe banned in EU or certain countries, due to being lead.
Bit of a bummer, as I need some more, and I was going to get some for Wayne.

Thanks Terry, Gnomey, Wurger, David , Andy and Wayne for your kind comments.

Really nice work Gerry. BTW, are those 'radioactive' symbols I see on the fire extinguishers, or is it just another design, looking like radioactive symbols?

Terry, as far as I can see, they're not radioactive symbols. There's only two 'blobs'. The one on top is a straight line with a 'V' notch in the centre. These came from some unidentified scraps from my decal box and I have no idea what period they're from. They were only used to put a triangular top to the bottle labels, as I have seen on a reference for the hand extinguishers. I reckoned that they would never be seen as clearly as they are in the photos.

I had a look into the Plus Model situation on the Interwebthingy. If you go to the Plus Model site <wwww.plusmodel.cz> and press 'buy' you are directed to <www.modelchoice.net> which seems to be their sales arm. The products are all listed as available and I couldn't see any warnings about them being not available in any territories. But I can't guarantee that they would be deliverable in any particular country. I have a feeling that I read an item about the Czech government banning the export of metals because of the problems with scrap metal theft in the country. I don't know if that might be the cause?

Wayne I've just 'baconed' you. I've absolutely no idea what that means. Somebody did it to me and I just pressed the button to see if there was any explanation. I can only hope it's complimentary. If not, my sincere apologies.

Gerry

Terry, as far as I can see, they're not radioactive symbols. There's only two 'blobs'. The one on top is a straight line with a 'V' notch in the centre. These came from some unidentified scraps from my decal box and I have no idea what period they're from. They were only used to put a triangular top to the bottle labels, as I have seen on a reference for the hand extinguishers. I reckoned that they would never be seen as clearly as they are in the photos.

I had a look into the Plus Model situation on the Interwebthingy. If you go to the Plus Model site <wwww.plusmodel.cz> and press 'buy' you are directed to <www.modelchoice.net> which seems to be their sales arm. The products are all listed as available and I couldn't see any warnings about them being not available in any territories. But I can't guarantee that they would be deliverable in any particular country. I have a feeling that I read an item about the Czech government banning the export of metals because of the problems with scrap metal theft in the country. I don't know if that might be the cause?

Wayne I've just 'baconed' you. I've absolutely no idea what that means. Somebody did it to me and I just pressed the button to see if there was any explanation. I can only hope it's complimentary. If not, my sincere apologies.

Gerry

Gerry,

We have several re-furbished engine extinguisher bottles at the hangar from FM212. I will look to see what symbols are printed on them if you like. I will be going to the hangar tomorrow.

Don

Darn good job here, joy to follow the tread.
@ Airframes, Aviation Hobby Shop here in Amsterdam carries the plusmodel lead wires, I'll check this weekend if they have stock...

Thanks Jan Martin.

Don, if it were possible to take a reference shot of one of the bottles and post it to the thread I would be very grateful. I think some of the extinguishers for the interior come with the kit, but no decals unfortunately.

Gerry

These are from our Mosquito RS700 restoration. I too can get a closer pic of the labels tomorrow. I suspect they're the same type of bottle.

1310052.jpg

Gerry

10761240755_268286cd45_b.jpg

Good pic, better than I could get as the bottles on Mossie RS700 were packed away and had to access. The labels are different but this could be because FM212 was built in Canada and the bottles were probably made closer to home.

I think Gerry's look absolutely fine the way they are.

Thanks again Guys, and many thanks to Don and Andy for posting the excellent photo refs of the extinguisher bottles. I'm assuming that both photos are of the engine extinguishers? Even so, I can see that the decals aren't completely matching in both instances. I'm probably going to leave mine as they are, as they won't be seen too closely in the wells (unless I invert the finished build for display).

Here is a reference for the hand-held extinguisher label that I found on the Hellenic site of a 1:48 Lancaster build. It's why I went for the triangular shape in the first place.

distinguisher_zps99a6806d.jpg

Again I'm very appreciative of the trouble you went to to supply the references.

Sláinte,

Gerry

Thanks again Guys and thanks for being so patient. I'm back home and gently easing my way back into the build. Over the weekend I decided that I was refreshed enough to tackle the port wheel bay detailing. Because I had strayed so far from the instructions, I needed to complete this before I forgot what I'd done on the other one. I won't labour this as it's pretty much as you've seen on the first one.

Portwheelbay_zps558fe45c.jpg

The main oleos still need to be sorted and, in fact, I have all the materials to get on with it. I just need to pluck-up the courage to tackle it. I have sent away for a back number of the issue that contains one oleo and when this arrives, I will experiment on this to see if I can achieve a satisfactory result before I commit myself.

While I'm waiting for this, the next section of the build takes me back into the cabin section between the wing spars for the hydraulics tank.

daveh_063_zps8915237b.jpg

The Camilla rest bunk which also goes into this section is already assembled and waiting. This will be joined by a partition unit and step, below.

Partition_zpsecac071b.jpg

The partition has an extra pole made from a cut cocktail stick and handles made from metal strip and rolled foil. You can see the real thing in (4) on the photo montage further down.

The next task was to assemble the components for the hydraulic tank, actuator and blow-down bottles.

Hydraulics_zps2af2d7ad.jpg

Hose (A) was enhanced by wrapping with .02mm lead wire (Lead wire rocks!). The supplied brackets (B) for the air tanks are far too thick and will probably be replaced with a thin strip of foil.

Everything now needs sanding, priming and painting and that will be done next. I have a question however as to what colour the air tanks should be. As you can see from the montage below, my references show many different answers. I think they would originally have been in interior green (6) or black (4). Black because the oxygen bottles were black? But if anyone can give me a definite answer, I'd be grateful.

bottlesmontage_zps3d57f8f1.jpg

I think I'm going to go back and finish more of the interior now. I still have to build the radio op's gear and it would be nice to get the main cabin done, so I can say something's finished. That's what I'll be concentrating on for the immediate future.

Cheers,

Gerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back