1:32 scale Lancaster Mk.1 Hachette Partworks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

double bleep.
Rather than brass rod for tubing, have you tried soldering wire????
Comes pretty small in diameter.

Wow, Guys, thats a very substantial response to what I considered a pretty insubstantial post. But thanks to all for taking the trouble to contribute. Some bolt heads and one of the hydraulic lines died in the struggle to position the braces within the wheelwells - but they will be replaced!!! Still fighting with poor light and the intrusions of life generally, but will persist.

double bleep.
Rather than brass rod for tubing, have you tried soldering wire????
Comes pretty small in diameter.

As a complete coincidence, I invested in a soldering set (Aldi €9.99) at the weekend, which comes complete with some soldering wire, so I'll certainly check it out.

Gerry :D

Gerry, there are also packs of lead wire - basically thin lead solder - available from 'Plus Model' in various gauges, from 0.2mm to 1mm, at around £1.50 upwards per pack. And if you want some fine telephone 'jumper' wire, I have around 2,000 meters of the stuff !!

PICT0001.JPG

Andy, my local model shop stocks the packs, and it's only half a mile away - if you can't find it, let me know what sizes you want, and I'll send some via Pigeon Post.

Fantastic job so far, Gerry! I just read through the entire 29 pages of this thread and am very impressed. If you ever need more up-close photos of Lanc parts or assemblies, feel free to ask. I spend 4 or 5 days a week at the Canadian Historical Aircraft Association hangar here in Windsor, Ontario, helping to re-build Lancaster FM212 to airworthy condition. It came down off its pedestal in Jackson Park in 2005 and since '08, we have almost entirely dis-assembled it in preparation for the re-build. You can see a lot of pics on the WIX forum here if you are interested...

Warbird Information Exchange ? View topic - Windsor (CH2A) Lancaster Restoration

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
Don

Thanks guys for the information about the solder wire. I experimented with the small roll that came with the soldering iron. I can see how it holds its shape when bent, and matches angles much easier. The wires I've been using have a natural 'spring' to them which makes holding them to the angles harder. The roll I have is 1.5mm, so a little thick for what I want, but the 'Plus Model' range seems ideal. I think I need to order some.

And thanks Don (Dxtopher) for the kind offer and welcome to the thread. I checked out your link and there seems to be a load of useful stuff there which I can refer to. I need to go back and study them in more detail, but the more refs I have, the better.

I've been ploughing on, using what materials I have to hand, and have the starboard wheelwell detailing finished. I found it very frustrating at times, as I seemed to be knocking off as many bits as I was adding. It was also very time consuming and I found I could only concentrate for short spells before I got annoyed with the light levels or my slow progress. I've started on the port well, but I'm thinking it might be better to leave it for a while and build some other area that isn't as tricky to give myself a break. I also need to decide what I'm going to do to the main oleos, before I can add them and complete the undercarriage.

The detailing is based on a combination of Andy's photos (page 24) and refs I found in The SAM Modellers' Guide to the Lancaster. I hope you agree that it gives a suitable busy feel to the wells. The photos are the best I could get with my equipment but it was tricky picking out the black-on-black detail.

The first is an overall view of the starboard well with the rear undercarriage braces in place. These tended to get in the way of the c/u photographs. The piston legs for these were lubricated with a light grease before fitting and are fully expandable as the gear opens. (A) are the ends of some of the plumbing which may be continued into the outer wing, later.

Fullwheelwell_zpsa4f55265.jpg

I've posted 3 angles of the front of the well to try to show the detailing as best as possible.

Wheelwellfront3_zps3af1a8a8.jpg

Wheelwellfront2_zps40ebe9bb.jpg

Wheelwellfront1_zpse8e6b326.jpg

And now 3 shots of the rear bulkhead...

Wheelwellback1_zps16d6de51.jpg

Wheelwellback3_zps64e2b4d3.jpg

Wheelwellback2_zps465d03e2.jpg

That's progress to date. I'm away for a couple of weeks (again!) but will post some more as soon as I have made some progress.

Sláinte,

Gerry

Really nice work Gerry. BTW, are those 'radioactive' symbols I see on the fire extinguishers, or is it just another design, looking like radioactive symbols?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back