1:32 scale Lancaster Mk.1 Hachette Partworks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sounds like you're progressing well Gerry.
just going back to the interior colour - the black normally extended back to the main spar, and included the floor, the radio op's position, the top and front of the main spar, and the curved, sheet-metal cover over the forward face of the main spar. Everything aft of the main spar was generally finished in the cockpit grey green.
However, I have seen a slight variation on this, where the finish is as described above, with the exception of the port side 'wall' of the radio op's position, which remained in the grey green, but with the spar, 'roof', floor and starboard 'wall' in black, as elsewhere.
In the rear fuselage, aft of the bomb bay, the central walk way was often coated in that 'gritty' non-slip surface, very dark grey in appearance. A couple things very often overlooked in cutaway drawings and models, are the inspection 'portholes' in the forward and rear bulkheads of the bomb bay, and the two small steps, from the rear fuselage walk way, to the top of the bomb bay 'floor', mounted on the rear bulkhead of the bay. The 'port holes' were there to allow inspection of the bay in flight (by use of a shrouded torch), in order to check for 'hang-ups' , and could differ slightly in layout on the rear bulkhead.
That large model might be the one that was at the IWM, although I seem to recall it might have been around 1/32nd scale or maybe 1/24th scale, and was a complete aircraft, not just the fuselage.
I saw the announcement for that HK models some time ago, and their proposed B-17. I'm sorely tempted, if or when it appears, but I really do have a space problem now!

Last edited:
Thanks Terry Darryl. As regards the interior colour, I will probably keep all the cabin and the bomb aimer's position in black.

Terry, you make some interesting points about the other areas. I had seen the walkways in some of the colour reference photos in that dark grey and in scuffed interior green in others. I had thought that the dark gray might have been a post-war 'health safety' addition. If it is, as you say authentic, I would probably prefer to use it for contrast purposes. I have the inspection portholes in the rear bomb bay bulkhead. I wasn't aware that they were also in the bulkhead looking back from the bomb aimer's cabin. As far as I know, there is a fair bit of equipment that goes on this wall, but I'll check my references again. As regards the steps, I think I have reference shots of that bulkhead from three different aircraft restorations. Apart from a flare chute in the centre of the bulkhead (also supplied with the kit), which might be used as a step, I haven't seen the dedicated steps you refer to. If you had any visuals to hand of these, I would appreciate it if you could post them

Always delighted to hear tips, corrections and other comments from interested members of the Forum.

Cheers,

Gerry

Last edited:
Don't worry about the porthole in the forward bomb bay bulkhead Gerry. I couldn't see one on the three Lancs I've been in and, from memory, it was on the port side anyway, and inaccessible, being covered by the strike camera.
I think I might have I pic I took which might show the steps at the rear of the bomb bay - I'll have a look and post what I find. If not, I probably have a diagram, or can do a drawing.
The anti-slip walkway is, as you say, possibly a later addition, although I'm fairly sure I've seen it in wartime footage also. Possibly added later in the war, so either with or without the walkway would be acceptable.
I'm not sure about that flare chute in the centre of the bulkhead - I'll check on that and let you know. The main flare chute was further aft, on the port side, slightly forward of the entrance door. It was angled, and rectangular in shape, with a 'ribbed' exterior. It is very prominent through the open door.

Thanks Terry. Here is a reference shot from the Haynes Lancaster manual. It's also visible in the Daily Telegraph Lancaster walk around video, where there's more of a top view that looks like a hinged step. I assume it's a flare chute and that's what it's described as in the kit.

Regards

Gerry

Flare chute 1.jpeg

Ah! That was the location of the original flare chute on early aircraft, a left over from the Manchester. I'm not sure, but judging from the framework overhead, this may be a later Lanc, with Martin turret, and might well have utilised available components during restoration.
From what I've briefly looked at so far, the original 'shell' of the outer casing for the chute was left in place, but no chute installed, and where the top opening and flap, and exit opening would be, were blanked off.
The 'new' chute was much larger, in order to accommodate the larger parachute flares and, as mentioned previously, moved aft, on the port side.
I've had a quick look at some of the pics I took inside PA474, the BBMF Lanc, but I'd forgotten that the steps were removed when the aircraft was a test bed for various wing designs, mounted on the upper fuselage.
Basically, imagine that tubular flare chute isn't there, and add another small step half way between the lower step (between the brackets) and the 'roof' of the bomb bay, and that's what they looked like.
The only photos I have showing this clearly, and the later, large chute, are in the SAM guide. (And by later, this doesn't mean late war, but very early in the production runs - once Manchester components had been exhausted). I didn't photograph that area in the East Kirby or ex- Strathallan Lanc!
Send me a PM with your postal address, and I'll put the SAM book onto a CD, along with some other photos, and send it to you over the weekend.

Vic and David, thanks for looking in.

It's my understanding it's a ......!

I think from Bill's comment that he thinks it bears an uncanny resemblance to the Elsan khazi at the rear.

Terry, I knew you'd have the answer and thanks for your kind offer. I'll send my address by PM. Please don't go to any great expense, though, to send the CD. I was going to include the following comments in my PM, but then thought it might be better to keep them public, as they may be useful for anyone else building a Lanc in any scale.

As far as I know, that photo and most of the other interiors in the Haynes Manual, are of PA474 and are marked 'Crown copyright' (That's a trip to the Tower for me!). It certainly appears from the photos that it now doubles as steps in PA474. The kit also supplies the larger rectangular chute which is also included in PA474 in the manual. I take it from your reply that there would have been instances where both chutes were in the same aircraft? From the point of view of my build, I would like to include both flare tubes (to add 'busyness' to the interior) unless that would be absolutely incorrect - I'll take your advice on that.

Now I must get back to the workbench or neither will be included :D

Gerry

Hm. It could be PA474, but that upper turret puzzles me. When they fitted the turret, they had to remove the bracing for the wing testing fittings, and cut and reinforce the fuselage in the area of the turret mount. The top turret is a standard FN, with most of the internal frames, though I honestly can't remember if it had the full drum-like 'basket' - it was thirty years ago, and some details are a bit hazy now. (Jeez, time flies!!)
I'll include some pics on the CD, just for interest, showing the 'before and after' of the turret fit.
Looking forward up the fuselage there, it looks like that may be a TACAN unit hiding on the port side, in which case, if it is, then it is PA474 - the only Lancaster ever to carry such a unit, required as it's officially on strength with today's RAF !
As far as I remember, the steps weren't there when I did the emergency drills (required in order to fly in her), as I seem to remember being knackered after numerous times of having to climb up onto the bomb bay, rush forward, and negotiate that bl**dy main spar!
But, of course, over the years she's been progressively brought, as near as possible, and with the exception of twin control columns, up to war-time standard. Looking at that chute and step, it appears to be part genuine, part mock-up - I can't see the remainder of the 'tube' behind the lower step.
I think there would be a time, at least, when both chutes would be in position, even if the bomb bay chute was redundant. Although I've seen pics with the twin steps, and no chute, it's entirely possible that the set-up in your pic was also common, possibly dependent on production batch, or maybe location - UK or Canada for instance.
I think I have some pics somewhere of the flare racks for the aft chute (they may also be in the book), which I'll include if I find them. These were on the port wall, forward of the rear chute, and carried the very large photo-flash, which was the main reason for the introduction of the larger chute, when strike cameras became the norm, and the use of this in place of the original chute.

EDIT: Just done a bit more digging Gerry, and can put your mind at rest, and confirm that the pic of PA474 and it's step is correct!
It's as I thought, confirmed by a chap I know at the Avro Heritage Centre, Woodford (where Lancs were final assembled and flown out, and just 4 miles from me), and by a works drawing I knew I had stashed somewhere. It was in a 50th anniversary limited edition book I was given by the author, and I'm happy to say is also in the book I'm sending on CD, albeit in small format.
When the larger flare chute was fitted, the housing for the old one remained, as it was part of the step component!
What you can see is actually just the main, tubular mounting bracket, integral with the fabrications of the step, hence it's continued presence. The chute itself actually fitted into this, and protruded above the floor (bomb bay roof) quite some height above the step, with the other end opening out of the underside of the fuselage. This was simply omitted, leaving what you can see in the photo.
This will all become clear as day when you see the drawings.
The original chute was, as I mentioned earlier, a legacy of the Manchester, and only fitted to very early Lancs, which themselves would have originally been intended to be Manchesters. The chute was the 'standard' type, as fitted to early types such as the Wellington and, in the case of the Lanc, was really obsolete, as the later flares and other pyrotechnics were larger, due to the need for more powerful illumination, which in turn was due to the increased altitude capability of the Lanc.
The CD is done, and will be in the mail to you on Monday.

Last edited:
Took me a bit searching the floor after my eyeballs fell out of my face but WOW ! That is deluxe work !!!
Cant wait to see more !!!

Thanks Bustedwing and Terry. I've just caught up with your additional information, Terry and look forward to the information on the CD. Hope to have some update pics posted soon.

Sláinte,

Gerry

Natural Gas Detection Warning System?

I can imagine that it might have been quite funky in that enclosed space during a 10 hour mission, especially if they had beans for dinner before they left!

On a more serious note I have read - and I can't recall the source now - that the gas detection patches were for crew protection (against leaks or damage) had they been carrying chemical (gas) bombs on a mission. There was a fear that, had there been a chemical attack against allied forces or civilians, Britain would have been forced to retaliate in kind. Remember, at this time, the use of poison gas by both sides in the First World War would have been only a recent memory.

On that sombre note I'll leave.

Gerry

Yep, that was the reason - in case of leaks from the weapons carried. I'm not sure, but I think it also served as Carbon Monoxide warning. The cabin heating, which entered via trunking near the radio op position, was drawn from the engine exhausts. had their been a leak, Carbon Monoxide may have entered the cabin and, if not on oxygen at the time, could have/would have rendered the pilot unconscious, or at least caused loss of coordination.
This was not as unlikely as it might sound - on the Typhoon, for example, there were a number of fatalities in the early days, traced to pilot being rendered incapable due to poisoning, which is why Typhoon pilots wore the oxygen mask, with oxygen switched on, at all times when the engine was running, even on the ground, and closed the canopy at the earliest opportunity.
However, the yellow disc on the Lanc was intended for detection of poison gas, as were the patches on the port wings of Spitfires and Hurricanes in the first year or so of WW2, and, as with the latter two types, this tended to be deleted as the war progressed, although it could still be seen even by war's end.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back