1/32 Spitfire Mk.VIII ‘Bobby’ Gibbs - Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks very much Guys...

Well.....wasn't going to do this next bit as I thought there wasn't enough room..... but after further dry fitting of the Engine mount frame and the cowling frame decided I had just enough room to add the ignition leads and the 'pipes' for want of a better word?

So I drilled each inlet, bent a short piece of copper wire to fit in each hole, superglued them in place, bent to final shape and position and then trimmed each to final length.
next the 'supply pipe' section was bent to shape and cut to length and also glued in to place....

So next step is painting choices....I've seen the leads in black, Grey/Silver and a reddish Brown, while the pipe section i've seen black, Grey or silver...best choice Terry?

Attachments

• 89_Spark Plug Assy_0431.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 90_ Spark Plug Assy_0437.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 87
That's a beauty.
I been trying to put the wires on Merlin's Magic, but what they did is a flat piece on the mag, and a separate wire for each plug coming up out of the plate. A real mess of wires.

That's looking the biz Wayne.
This pic, taken at Duxford, is close to WW2 standard. However, I've just checked a few colour pics from the period, and the variations seem to follow the period in time, although this is not definite. The dark reddish brown leads would be correct for all ignition leads, and I've seen this colour on a Lancaster's Merlin. It's possible that these were fabric sheathed, and the pic dates from late 1942. (at one time, this was a 'standard' identification for all car ignition leads in the UK, up to the mid 1970s at least. After this, 'modern' and 'racing' colours appeared, such as bright red or orange. It's probably connected with domestic electricity wiring colours, where dark red was always 'Live'.)
A Spit shown a little later appears to have black leads, with the guide tube in a silver grey colour, whilst later still, another Spit IX, or possibly MkVIII, appears to have screened leads, with a silver grey sheath colour, and the guide tube may be the brass colour shown in the attached pic - hard to be certain as it's in shadow.
I think maybe the silver grey would be fine, if only to provide a little contrast.

Attachments

• Duxford May 2011 093.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 75
Sounds like a minefield trying to decipher 'original for different periods' versus modern restored component colours... cheers Terry, I'm learning fom your research too.

Thanks Guys, and appreciate that feedback Terry, was thinking and hoping for the contrast colours otherwise the detail would be lost in the shadows once the other frames are in place...

Thanks Andy,

got started on the side sections of the cockpit...added a few 'bits'

Attachments

• 91a_Cockpit_1010.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 91b_Cockpit_1038.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 95
  • 92a_Cockpit_1014.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 94
  • 92b_Cockpit_1039.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 95

Users who are viewing this thread