1/32 Vought F4U-4 Corsair, VMF-323 "Death Rattlers" - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not Corsairs but....

F-4Ns_VMFA-323_CV-43_1979-80.jpg

Three McDonnell Douglas F-4N Phantom II fighters of U.S. Marine Corps fighter-bomber squadron VMFA-323 Death Rattlers on the aircraft carrier USS Coral Sea (CV-43) in 1979/80. VMFA-323 and VMFA-531 were assigned to Carrier Air Wing 14 (CVW-14) during that deployment.

323Phantoms.jpg

Great stuff guys though don't know how you do it. I have enought problems with one era let alone other era's :)

Been at your place! :lol:

When VMF-323 and VMF-531 was responsible for the fighter protection of USS Coral Sea, it was the first time ever, that a carrier only had UMSC squadron fighters...

A lot of cool info here Jan, all of it just making me want to build a HobbyBoss -4! Keep in mind I've done a bit of a series of -323 aircraft, including an F4U-4, AU-1 (which half the squadron flew, while the other half flew -4s), F-8, F-4 and F-18. Still missing the FJ-4 and Panther, though I have a Panther kit, so I may have some photos in various threads. I did the F-4 and F-8 for the Cold War GB.

Nice looking jet, isn't it? Have the VMF-323 decals in that kit...

Yep sure is, I beleive the one I posted is the only one left that fly's. Rugged sucker as well. Watch it dig in the mud last year after going off the runway at EAA. No damage done and it was back this year :)

HPIM1506.JPG

Last edited:
Ouch! Hope that they both got away unhurt!

Surprising how few decals sheets there's out the for the Fury!

I am going from memory but I beleive the Fury never made it to full production without looking it up and yep both pilots where ok!!!

Last edited:
I'vce only managed to find one shot of a VMF-323 Fury with stripes, all the others have been plain Janes...

3_209.png

Those that I've found, have looked like this...

3_17_b2.jpg

This has a different shade....

3_17_b4.png

...from this one...

showimage.jpg

This is the only one that I've found..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back