<-- **** DONE: 1:48 A-20G Havoc - Twin Engined Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Checked the decals and they do not include the second "Little Joe" on the right side fuselage nose. If it wasn't white I'd scan the decal sheet, cut and paste the mane into a word doc and print it out on decal paper but that won't work with white. I could try cutting a mask out of Tamiya tape using a copy of the kit decals as a guide but it looks like that would be very difficult doing that script with an xacto knife. Have to give this some thought.

I think you may print the decal without the white on the clear deacla sheet. Just you have to match the colour tinge that is around the tekst to the OD on the fuselage. Before you will apply the decal you have to spray the white paint on the fusealge as the decal background. The white has to be apply at the letter areas only in order the printed decal will cover the colour fully. In other words you have to print a mask of the OD colour instead of cutting. Later you may spray the OD around the decal edges only to make the printed mask more blended in. After applying of the matt clear it shouln't be possible to know where is the line between decal and the fuselage colour.

......or as Wojtek says but on white decal sheet. Olive Drab and white lettering, the catch(es) being to match the paint and the font.

Oh yes It's true. The white decal sheet can be used as well. But one thing though. The white decal can be thicker depending on the way it was made. The clear base- one layer, the white coat - the second one and then your printing. It may result in a trouble with reducing of the "step" between the decal edge and the fuselage surface. Of course it's possible but more of a clear coat has to be used.

lend-lease.airforce.ru/photogallery/boston/index.htm
Some good pictures there

I'm afraid the home made decal thing would be hard to match to the fuselage color. I think it wouls be eaiseir to cut out a tape mask -for me anyway. Is there anyone out there that has built this kit but not used the "Little Joe" decals. I could cut the words apart and it would be almost a perfect match.

Can't help you there Glen sorry. I was faced with a similar dilemma back when I did my Me410. I tried the method that Wojtek and Geo suggested, basically making a camo background in Photoshop and then printing it on a white decal paper to create some white lettering. It didn't turn out as good as I wanted but I think there's room for improvement with the technique. It's certainly feasible, especially if you make the decal big enough and then blend in the OD with an airbrush.

120106 Screen Shot.jpg

120108 1.jpg

Just a thought here Glenn...

Luftwaffe Decals.

.....maybe you and Robert can have a back and forth. You could send a photo of your port side decal with dimensions or find the proper font or closest one to it
The ALPS printer is the only non-pro printer I know that can print white. Mine is DOA but I have a friend with one I have been trying to arrange for time on, or to borrow it for awhile. In the meantime I have been experimenting with stencil cutouts of white carrier film placed behind the decal during application. Its promising but fiddly.

I sent you a message about a spare decal sheet for the A-20G available on EBay.

I ordered the spare A-20G decal sheet John mentioned above so the problem is solved. At first I hesitated at laying out $10 for the one little name decal on the sheet I would use, but then I thought about all the time and effort it would save me not having to make some other method work and I went and ordered it. Besides, now I have spare decals if I mess any of them up.

Been doing some work on it but have not posted any of it yet. Hopefully I'll have time to get some progress pictures up tonight.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back