1/48 A-20G Havoc (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have been working on the engines this evening and am wondering about some of the detail issues. I shot the cases with Model Masters engine gray 36076. The gear case I did with a mix of OD green MM# FS34087 and MM Air Mobility Command Gray #36173. I plan to dry rub silver on the fins of the cylinder jugs. The few photos I have of radials are of the R-2800 and the fasteners look to be of a gold anodized color. This is probably not correct for the 1940s. If aircraft fasteners were like the automobile fasteners of the time they were a gray phosphate which is a dark gray and flat in surface quality.Would this be correct? Also, I did the pushrod tubes in a medium gray. If I'm not mistaken, most of you do them in silver, but to me that's a little to shiny. Am I wrong in this? And are the elbow joints at the top of the pushrod tubes a different color? This is about as far as I will take the engines for you can't really see them once it's together. I know this is a lot of questions but I have searched until I'm blue in the face and all I have found photo wise of the R-2600-23 is that overpainted one on Wiki. Thank you in advance. If anyone does know of a website with a better photo please let me know. Here is a shot of what I have so far. I am just showing the front sections until I am done with the paint work, it's a lot easier to work with.:oops:

Attachments

• IMG_1330 resized 20.jpg
    IMG_1330 resized 20.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Looks about right Aaron. The only thing I can add is that the push-rod tubes were often a semi-gloss black, with the 'caps' in bright metal.

That would work, then just give the flat black tubes a quick brushed coat of future.
It's not the same engine, but this might help give an idea of the general appearance.

Attachments

• Czech 172.jpg
    Czech 172.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 200
Ok, after many weeks of searching the web and a week and a half of eye healing this is what they look like. I know, I need glasses or more talent.:lol: This is the best I can do for now and thank you Terry for your help sir.:notworthy:

IMG_1334 resized 20.jpg

Nice work Aaron, enjoying watching this great aircraft progress.

The engines look good. I've started on my Beaufighter and as of yesterday now have a pair of Bristol Hercules radials that look quite similar to your Wright Cyclones :D

Thanks guys.:oops: In that case we will install them as is. I had thought about doing the plug wires but I sat down until the thought passed. If it were 1/32 scale I might but this is a little more than I want to tackle at the moment. I am in the process of filling and sanding the fuselage seem. I started with 400 grit and am working toward 1500 grit. I am going to try to weather the fuselage a bit. From all the photos that I've seen of this aircraft it never looked really bad. The paint looks to have faded quite a bit but other than that it always looked well maintained. I do have a question and you will have to look at the photos I posted at the beginning of this build. The prop tips look to have two different colors, red on the very tip and yellow separated by a strip of black. I may be wrong but you will have to look at both shots of the front view of the plane, one shows it better than the other. Thank you in advance for your opinions.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back