<-- **** DONE: 1/48 Beaufighter TF X - Twin Engined Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. A bunch more fiddley bits to report on as I progress toward the painting stage.

The pic below is representative of work on both horizontal stabs. To the extreme left is one of the antennae for the radio altimeter. On the bottom and nearest is one of the elevator trim actuators and further up can be seen a second actuator. These had been removed earlier as they were incorrectly molded on the top of the elevator. Tamiya must have used the Hendon Beau as a go-by and these are wrong.

17011301.jpg

The external dinghy release handle was cut into the surface and detailed:

17011302.jpg

On the port side, there is a mysterious hatch with a gizmo poking out so I replicated this detail. One theory is that it is for a drift indicator as some pics show this open even in flight. The oblong hatch cover will be added later as it's a prime candidate for being knocked off.

17011303.jpg

Further ahead, I've added the port fuel tank vent:

17011304.jpg

Same on starboard. In addition, there's a small opening below the vent for the cockpit heat bypass. In the distance on the armour plate in front of the windscreen can be seen a small intake in white that was also added.

17011305.jpg

I'm only half way through my checklist so there's yet more to be added. Thanks for checking in!

Very nice detail work Andy, and yes, I believe that 'hatch' is for the drift sight, the 'head' of which is a periscopic lens barrel which would protrude beyond the side of the fuselage by a couple of inches or so.
I'd heard somewhere, some time ago, that Tamiya used an ex-Portugese Beau as the pattern, but I believe the RAFM example was brought back from Portugal, so it could be that one.

Thanks Robert. Part of my enjoyment of the hobby is not only building the kits but trying to research the subjects enough to understand some of the technical systems that make them tick and, where feasible, replicate the components. It's often a delicate balance for me to find the boundary between overdetailing and letting go.

Thanks Evan.

Tomorrow I hope to install the tube for the trailing antenna, a big omission in the kit. After that, I'll be able to start painting the underside and get the undercarriage on so I can stand this baby up on its own legs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back