1/48 Bristol Beaufighter MkVI - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tigerdriver

Staff Sergeant
Sep 20, 2010
Norwich UK
www.seloc.org
Username: Tigerdriver
First name: Dave
Category: Beginner
Scale/Kit: 1/48 Tamiya
Extras : None unless i use some PE seatbelts

So of the two beaufighters in my stash I have decided the earlier one will be my first entry into this GB

The Beaufighter is one of my favourite planes. A great example of needs must. Designed in just 8 months the chopped about Beaufort was intended as a stop gap while the RAF waited for the troubled but promising Westland Whirlwind but matured into a very effective night fighter and strike fighter serving with particular distinction for coastal command in an anti shipping role.

I will be doing a craft from 272 Squadron which served in the Med for most of the war, moving from Malta to Italy as the war progressed. Not too sure on the exact example as there seems to be some confusion over the Tamiya provided profile.

Beaufighter001.jpg

It seems the serial no suggested for the V kite depicted in the box art was not allocated to a Beaufighter, and infact looks more like number for a Sunderland ! Also the kit provided RPs and suggests them for this scheme, but records suggest that 272 didnt use RPs till a year or 18 months later when it upgraded to the mk X . The rockets are absent from the box art and the pic of what is probably the same plane I use for my sig. No bombs are provided All very confusing.

At my skill level I will set forth with the kit, settle on the dark earth / mid stone camo and worry about the rockets later. I guess I will be leaving them off

Last edited by a moderator:
Good one, and quite a nice kit. there are some small square panels on the upper wing surfaces which shouldn't be there - they were practice battle damage repair patches, seen on the real aircraft which was used to design the kit!

What can I say Dave, most excellent choice same kit as I'm doing though I'm going for the RAAF Mk 21 version which is what you are probably talking about Mike.

Hoping this will be less of a fight than the Eduard dora

Thanks Terry ... have had a look through your 1/32 scale opus in the MTO GB, I suspect I wont acheive that level of detail lol

dave superb choice, I love this model, the buy for a while but never mount, I found one super model ......

Yep, just shout if you want more info. And don't worry about the detail - once assembled, virtually b*gg*r all can be seen of the interior, except the cockpit.

And a few more of the Duxford restoration, August 2009. Note in the last shot, those 'bolts' sticking out behind the cockpit window are 'Clecos', used for aligning the rivets, and are not present after construction.

Attachments

• Czech 061.jpg
    Czech 061.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 215
  • Czech 048.jpg
    Czech 048.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 354
  • Czech 049.jpg
    Czech 049.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 238
  • Czech 050.jpg
    Czech 050.jpg