**** DONE: 1/48 Beaufighter Mk.21 - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vic Balshaw

Major General
Jul 20, 2009
Canberra
Username: Vic Balshaw
First name: Vic
Category: Judge – Non competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Tamiya – 61053-2800

Extras: Eduard ED48 215 etched detail set. Ventura VA4872 decal for Aussie aircraft. Plastic Model Club MM48 010 canopy mask. Minimal scratch building and a lot of TLC.

For this build I'm turning to Australia and it's Pacific War. Beaufighter Mk.21'as were manufactured in both Britain and Australia and it is an Australian manufactured aircraft that I will duplicate. The aircraft is serial number A8-23, squadron code EHC from 31 Squadron RAAF. The aircraft was brought on charge in August 1944 and delivered to the squadron inventory in October 1944 where it served until being placed in storage on October 1945 and finally scrapped in August 1949.

20130504-1b.jpg

The only information I have relating directly to this airframe is that it was normally piloted by Flg. Off. A.A Burton, the Nav Plt. Off. R.W. Lyons. (Pentland Vol 2, Profile p.94, photo p 95)

20130504-1d.jpg

20130504-1c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
At 1/48, not all that big Bill.

Nice one Vic. No lights this time I assume!

Did look at the instructions and think 'fibre optic!'

Aaah....A8-23, then there must be a A8-13! :lol:

Looking forward to this one Vic!

Here you go Jan:

A8-13 – Mk 21 to 31 Sqn 20 Sep 1944. 16 Sep - first operation flight. 27 Nov – hit strong down-draught when landing, damaged undercarriage, Coomalie airstrip NT. 29 Nov - to Repair and Salvage Unit (RSU). 5 Apr 1945 - return to 31 Sqn. 14 Apr - back to RSU. 8 Jun – with 22 Sqn and tailwheel collapsed on landing, Wama airstrip. 11 Sep – allocated Sqn code SK-G. 8 Nov – into store. 8 Aug 1949 – Struck off.

Good one Vic. Maybe nav lights, and an illuminated instrument panel - oh, and the orange or blue lamp in the mid fuselage ......... just kidding!
Got some detail shots, cutaways and side elevation drawing showing equipment fit, if you need them Vic.

Good one Vic. Maybe nav lights, and an illuminated instrument panel - oh, and the orange or blue lamp in the mid fuselage ......... just kidding!
Got some detail shots, cutaways and side elevation drawing showing equipment fit, if you need them Vic.

Many thanks for the offer Terry but I think I'll be okay with this one, I've stacks of reference material on the Mk.21.

Marvellous choice Vic!

The two crew were Alexander Stewart Burton and Ralph Walker Lyons. Looking at the ORB they joined ops late in the war after graduating Beaufighter Course 24 from 5 OTU in February 1945. They got in a couple of missions before the end of hostilities flying 23 and other Beau's.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• ORB 331a.jpg
    ORB 331a.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 222
This good stuff Peter, my thanks. Where did you find such snippets!

Good stuff Peter, and look, in Oz, they print things upside down !

Terry, you have to remember that a good many of the Aussies are of Irish decent………………………………………..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back