1/48 Curtiss R3C-2 - From WW1 to WW2 GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

meatloaf109

1st Lieutenant
Jan 1, 2012
north carolina
User Name, Meatloaf109
Name, Paul
Catagory, Intermediate
Scale, 1/48
Manufacturer, Testors, (Hawk)
Model Type, Curtiss R3C-2
Aftermarket, All the bits of wire and crap off the desk that the F3F-1 doesn't need, and more!

I think I paid $5.00 for this Testors boxing of the old Hawk mold, and it shows it's age. Raised decal locators on the top and bottom of the wings, no cockpit, and the "pilot" has a serious hole in him that I have never noticed in any of the pictures of Jimmy Doolittle. This one will get the full treatment, scratch-built cockpit, overstated wing radiators toned down, flying wires, the works. (The pilot is going in the scrap bucket, however.)

r3c1.jpg

r3c2.jpg

r3c3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I built that one years ago too Paul. Loads of room for scratch building. Will be interesting watching what you do with it.

Ah, yes! The great Jimmy Doolittle. There are several pictures of the racer, most in the lighter scheme, identified as a blue. The Smithsonian has the plane in black with a number "3" on the side. It wore this scheme when Doolittle won the Schneider in1925.
Thursday is modeling day for me, I may get a start on this one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back