1/48 Eduard Polikarpov I-16 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JKim

Senior Master Sergeant
Jul 1, 2014
Carlsbad, CA
I am three models into my re-entry into scale modeling and enjoying it very much. The first was a 1/48 Hasegawa Bf109G-10. The late model 109's have always been a favorite of mine.

JTK_1064_copy.jpg

JTK_1063_copy.jpg

The second was a 1/48 Tamiya (old) Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero that my daughter requested after we watched Hayao Miyazaki's "The Wind Rises". The canopy was a real struggle for me and that's one part of a build that you must do right the first time. :mad:

JTK_1156_copy.jpg

The third was the 1/48 Hasegawa Macchi C.202 Folgore that I shared last week.
14703782486_3a42093c31_o.jpg

I thought it might be fun and try to build a plane from each of the WWII combatants. So with that in mind, my next project is a Russian fighter. I was contemplating trying to get my hands on the 1/48 Tamiya Ilyushin Shtormovik that I've heard good things about but it's pricey and as a ground-attack plane, it sort of goes against my fighter plane motif that I've got going. So I settled on the iconic Polikarpov I-16. My local hobby shop had a copy of the Eduard Profipack kit of the I-16 Type 10 at a reasonable price. This is my first kit from Eduard and I was curious to how it would compare quality/build wise to the Japanese brands I've built in the past.

JTK_1762_copy.jpg

JTK_1763_copy.jpg

The kit is nicely boxed and packed with multiple clear bags holding the different sprues with the clear parts, photo-etched parts and masks getting their own bags. Being a Profipack kit, it comes with the photo-etched parts and masks, which is a nice touch... I guess I will attempt to build this kit strictly out-of-box. The instructions are a grade better than what I'm used to seeing (not that I've seen much). It's printed in color on thick, glossy paper.

After perusing the internet, looking at reviews of the kit and different builds for a few days, I decided to get to work. Before removing the parts from the sprues, I thought I'd hollow out the exhaust stacks. Eduard's attempt at providing hollowed out stacks is admirable but they are really just dimpled and fairly unconvincing. Since they are so tiny, I left them on the sprue to begin the hollowing out process using a sharp Xacto. You can compare the stock stack on the left with a hollowed out one on the right in the picture below.

IMGP6597_copy.jpg

The stacks themselves have mold lines which I wanted to address so at this point I removed them from the sprues (Eduard provides more exhausts than you need for this particular kit... helpful just in case you happen to lose one!) to clean off the mold lines and to finish out the hollowing process.

IMGP6599_copy.jpg

The I-16 has wing guns that Eduard provides as separate pieces. Since I am aiming to do a OOB build, I hollowed out the ends instead of using metal tubing. The gun on the left is cleaned up and hollowed out while the gun on the right is straight from the sprue.

IMGP6602_copy.jpg

That's it for now. The cockpit has a bunch of tiny photo-etched parts but I'm debating whether or not to use them. The cockpit opening is tiny and I doubt you'd see much beyond the instrument panel.

Hey John, why not enter this into our Group Build that starts Friday? If you can hold of on starting the build for a couple of days, it would be great to have you join. We'll help you along with how to start and it's a great way to get to know the guys, learn more about the eastern theater, and get some valuable tips on your subject.

Hey John, why not enter this into our Group Build that starts Friday? If you can hold of on starting the build for a couple of days, it would be great to have you join. We'll help you along with how to start and it's a great way to get to know the guys, learn more about the eastern theater, and get some valuable tips on your subject.

Not sure what a Group Build is but I'm willing to give it a shot! I assume there is a board on here that is dedicated to Group Builds? I'll take a look around and see if I can find it!

Thanks Geo! I think I've got the gist of what a Group Build is and am getting acquainted with the requirements. One question though... do entrants select their own skill level (Novice, Intermediate, Advanced)? I consider myself a novice (the I-16 will be my fourth model after a 20+ year hiatus) but I want to represent my work fairly.

Looking forward to seeing your I-16 build! I've never built a Russian plane nor an Eduard kit so this will be a fun new road and I'll probably have questions.

I think it's OK to select your own level when you start out and then compare your model to others in your chosen category. Then you can make a better choice for the next build. If you have a doubt during your build, feel free to ask questions. It's better to stop for a moment or two than have to do over, it's saved me a lot of grief.

Geo

Last edited:
John, on Friday, I'll be posting my entries for the Eastern Front GB. When I do, just copy and paste the intro into your own post and edit to suit your entry and you'll be off to the races. It's all for fun and you'll get one of those neat little icons in your sig for finishing your build. You'll have 4 months to finish so should be lots of time.

As for your skill level, it seems by the quality of your 109 and Macchi that you've been able to build on your past experience to come up with some really nice models. I'd suggest that you are AT LEAST at intermediate level and that you'd even do well in the advanced category.

Hope to see you in the GB and good luck. Any questions, just shout.

John, on Friday, I'll be posting my entries for the Eastern Front GB. When I do, just copy and paste the intro into your own post and edit to suit your entry and you'll be off to the races. It's all for fun and you'll get one of those neat little icons in your sig for finishing your build. You'll have 4 months to finish so should be lots of time.

As for your skill level, it seems by the quality of your 109 and Macchi that you've been able to build on your past experience to come up with some really nice models. I'd suggest that you are AT LEAST at intermediate level and that you'd even do well in the advanced category.

Hope to see you in the GB and good luck. Any questions, just shout.

Ok! I've been holding off on doing any more work on the I-16 but since it is my only project, I keep going into my work station in the garage... looking at the box... instructions... parts... thinking... thinking... can't wait to get to work!

Based on your input and Wayne's as well, I will start off in Intermediate as suggested. Looking forward to the GB... I wish I had a known about it a little more in advance because I've always wanted to be build one of those JG54 Grunherz 109's or 190's with the white camo.

Thanks for giving me a heads up on the Group Build!

The Group Builds are 4 months long. These little beauties shouldn't take too long to build. When I've done mine, I'm thinking of doing a "captured 109" as well.

Geo

John, nothing saying you can't enter more than 1. So do another Grunherz 109 if you want as well.

I know what you mean about looking at the box several times. I've been doing that for the last week after having finished my last project and I've been chomping at the bit for this GB ever since. I'll be dong a Zvezda 109 and a Hasegawa Stuka.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back