1/48 F-102A/F-106 Delta - Unofficial GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Damn fine work there Glenn! I was going to jump in with an F-106 after my Seafire but now I'm not so sure. Don't want to step on your toes since you are doing one.
Go ahead and jump in Bruce. A group build is kind of lonely if you're the only one in it, even if it is only an un-official group build!

A couple of hours of filling with CA and work with a needle file and sandpaper and I had the intakes looking pretty good so I glued them to the fuselage. Now I have that terrible joint to the rear to deal with.
P6229135.JPG
P6229136.JPG
P6229137.JPG

Last edited:
Fixing those gaps is going pretty good so far. I filled them with small pieces of plastic card and rough filed them flush. Still needs some CA and more filing and polishing, but should turn out Ok.

Could have been a lot worse :lol:
P6239138.JPG
QF-102A Hulk, expended in Stinger tests, Holloman AFB, 13 Aug 1975, R Morgan.jpg

Last edited:
I figured that was what you would do Glenn, and nicely finish to. Sad to see the boneyard scraps though.

I'm back working on the F-102 after a long absence. I stayed away from it after seeing the very ugly joint between the top and bottom wing halves which fell under the curved lip of the wings leading edge - a very difficult location to get at to file down after filling. I didn't get a picture of the joint before filling but you can get an idea of it by the large dark super glue filled areas. The pictures are the result of a lot of thick CA and several hours work with a halve round needle file and wet dry sandpaper. Putting the wings on the fuselage should be a breeze after this.
DSC00657.JPG
DSC00654.JPG
DSC00655.JPG
DSC00656.JPG

Last edited:
I spent some time on the fabrication a metal pitot tube not because the kit part was bad but because I knew if I used it I would break it off. It's very hard to find close up picture of the end of the pitot tube on the 102 and the only one I could find is a crop from a shot I took a few years ago at the AFM. Unfortunately it's a head on shot but you can still see the shape of the tip (pic 1)
Pic 2 shows the parts I used, plastic tube to be imbedded in the tip of the nose, aluminum tube for the main body of the pitot and steel wire to fit in the aluminum tube to strengthen and form the tip.
Pic 3 shows the unfinished assembly compared with the kit part. At this point I had put a slight taper in the tip of the steel wire. The fit of the aluminum tube and plastic tube is quite tight and will not be glued so it can be removed.
Pic 4 Plastic tube glued in place
Pic 5 Taper between aluminum tube and steel wire formed of thick CA and filed sanded to shape.
Pic 6 Finished pitot
P2177687 (2).JPG
PB189155.JPG
PB189156.JPG
PB189158.JPG
PB189159.JPG
PB189161.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back