1/48 FW190A-5 Hans Philipp's "Miinke Pinke'

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys.

Here's some more progress on the engine.

I completed the engine mount prior to fitting to the aircraft. Given some of the fit issues with this kit I am not expecting it to slide in, fit and align perfectly.

001a500.JPG

004a500.JPG

005a500.JPG

Thanks guys,

HEre are some shots of the primed model. No great shakes here. It's kind of difficult to make out the details with the primer on. Found some spots that needed re-working so was able to do that. I used Tamiya's grey primer thinned with some of their lacquer thinner for this step. Great stuff. I also painted the lower cowling yellow.

007 a600.jpg

005 a600.jpg

001a600.jpg

003 a600.jpg

Well guys,

I am making more progress on the paint scheme but have been fiddling with the fuselage camo to try and get it sort of close to the Kagero profile.
I have been hampered in my efforts by time, and worst of all a failed airbrush with a fine tip .2 mm that I normally use for doing fine detail work and failed compressor, my second in 5 years. Regarding the airbrush (Badger) I have stripped it, cleaned it like crazy put everything back to together even tried various thickness of paint and it just spurts out paint. What a piece of crap. Not sure maybe the seals have had it??

To keep moving forward I have reverted back to my trusty Iwata .3mm (I think its a CH plus)AB its 5 years old as well but still going strong and this beast which is my backup.
$_35.JPG

I paid like 60 bucks for this thing. IT's as loud as hell while the tank it filling up but it works fine and I get good air out of it.
My other 2 compressors did not have tanks but my next one will.

For my Iwata it is extremely difficult to paint small, fine dark and light patches on a 1/48 scale aircraft with this airbrush so I have taken the needle cap off to get some finer lines. This seems to be working okay.

I will post some progress pics shortly.

Last edited:
Regarding the compressor and airbrush here's what I am looking at for my next purchases.

Airbrush:

Harder and Steenbeck's CRplus.

HandS crpuls.jpg

For me I am only going with either Japanese or German made airbrushes. I need them to last. This CRplus is like US$ 200 but its got a super fine needle pitch which will be great for fine detail work. My Iwata can be used for anything .2MM or bigger or for general painting.

Compressor

compressor.jpg

While this compressor has the tank it has the ubiquitous compressor I see everywhere and is similar to the last two I purchased. It also has the auto off switch (the black cap and black wire protruding from the compressor head) which are known to fail after about a year. Question do any of you guys have some other suggestions for a compressor that might be a better longer lasting opton?

Dave.

Last edited:
I'm not seeing any pics, just attachment numbers which, when 'clicked', show as invalid. Maybe yet another forum glitch perhaps?

I've been using a cheap and cheerful, tank-less, mini-compressor for around six years now, without problems, although it's possibly getting near the time to replace it.
My airbrushes also are cheap and cheerful, fine-tip, costing around £20 (approx $30 US) or less each, which can spray down to less than a 1mm wide line with practice.
They last, on average, around three years before they need items such as the seals, or needle replacing, when I find it's easier to buy another one the same.

If you're going to use the 'brush 8 hours per day, five days per week, then something like a Paasche or H&S is well worth it - that's what they're designed for. But for average modellin g use, and especially if economy comes into the equation, then perhaps a good, cheaper alternative, which will last three or more years, may be worth investigating?
Over ten years, for example, the total cost of buying and replacing airbrushes would be less than $100 US.
Just a thought .....

Something happens with the photos that can not see Dave. Congratulations on the purchase. :lol:

If you allow me the comment ...:oops:

It is a very valid what you Terry talks; now that I took up the hobby almost 2 years ago (after more than 22 years of absence), I've gradually gone making me the essential to re-start material.

I also thought like you and I have invested little and slowly I have improved the range and quality of my work utensils.

I just buy a second airbrush and I have not paid more than $ 75 dlls. for both !! ... I started using cans of spray paint and a year ago "I inherited" 3 oxygen tanks 12 kgs. each (from my grandmother) ... was when I bought my first airbrush.

In response to your first comment, you probably have at home a wide variety of compressors, if it's any reference, two weeks ago I bought my first compressor (also looking for the best price-earnings ratio) and after a few months of looking, I found this American-made 1 HP, very silent, with its water filter and automatic ignition for less than $ 172.00

2014-12-04132249_zpsaeffac99.jpg

2014-12-04133210_zpsae28e2a2.jpg

2014-12-04132445_zpsb7723b7f.jpg

To give you an idea and see the opportunity to renew your mini-compressor.

I hope you find it useful.

Saludos amigos.:thumbup:

SANCER

Last edited:
Guys,

I re-posted the pics. I think its a forum glitch. They showed up when I posted them no problem. The I must say has been quite glitchy as of late.

This discussion should probably be on antoehr thred.

Terry,

Something to seriously consider. I don't consider myself a robust user of my airbrushes so I am dissapointed in the Badger .2mm which I paid CDN $70 (about 39 British pounds) for. The iwata was over a $100 but its a great airbrush and I really like it a lot. I haven't really looked but are there places that re-condition airbrushes, ie. replacing their seals? I think the Iwata will last forever it's that good of an airbrush. I might pick up a couple cheap-o AB's off Ebay and see how they go.

Regarding the compressor what one do you have? My Paasche just died. My previous one was a Hobbi Air. Both auto shut off switches went very quickly on them. I Paid $90 for the Paasche and to get it serviced including shipping would have been close to what I paid for it so I never bothered getting it repaired after the switch went. I just turned it off when it got warm.

Sancer,

Big compressor and tank. It's similar to the one I have glaid to see its quiet. My mastercraft is not but it works.

The compressor is a tiny thing, often called 'Mini Elephant' due to its shape, and is sold under various brand names, including, I believe, Testors. Mine has a silver-grey, plastic casing, but I've seen them in other colours, including translucent blue!
It doesn't have a water trap, filter, or even adjustable pressure, running at approximately 15 psi !!!
They were designed for use in such places as beauty parlours, for spraying ladies' finger nails, a market which has had quite an effect on reducing the cost of various compressors.
I can't find a photo, so I'll take one over the weekend and post it here. To be honest, it was all I could afford at the time (cost around £28 or approx $35 to $40 US) about six years ago, otherwise I would have bought a more substantial example. But, it's lasted this long, with absolutely no problems whatsoever, which just goes to show that 'expensive' doesn't always mean 'best'.
The pics below are one of the airbrushes I've been using, made in the UK, and again it's worked fine for over three years, and still works, although I bought another as the one shown really needs new seals, and I damaged the tip of the needle when I dropped it whilst cleaning.

Attachments

• AIRBRUSH 002.jpg
    AIRBRUSH 002.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 110
  • AIRBRUSH 005.jpg
    AIRBRUSH 005.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 87
Mine is almost identical to yours Terry, if not actually the same a cheapie arbrush that really does the job, my version comes with 3 sets of nozzles and tips...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back