1/48 He 51B-2 Float Plane - Seaplanes / Floatplanes of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I don't think Any of the old kits were of any worth, especially the lesser popular ones. As long as it had the name on the box, it was marketable! Nowadays, if you can create on 3D software, and save as a DXF file, precise tooling is easier than spanking the kids!

:lol: But she is coming along Bill ;)

Now this is a nice looking little fellow Bill, I see you're exercising the usual panache with this build and I'm looking forward to seeing the rigging part

The only serious rigging problem was on the bottom interior of the floats. Viewed from the bottom, it resembles a roman numeral "10". That is to say an "x" with a solid bar on top and bottom. I used Vic's idea of twisted wire anchor points then I ran one line in a simple pattern, the only trick was figuring out when and how to fasten the turnbuckles. The challenge is in the last one. It is real easy to pull the first couple of strands out of true while attaching the last, if you get my drift. The usual way of using a drop of super glue resulted in sag on some wires when doing the final "pull".
It took me three or four tries to get it anywhere close to acceptable.
I wish I could take more pictures to show you, but mine was destroyed in the great shelving disaster of '13.
Sailor on, old potato! I know you will get this one right!

if my memory serves he51b second test were made by the Luftwaffe in the Cantabrian Sea during the Spanish civil war in the book Encyclopedia of the Spanish civil war that would see some profiles painted the intrados of rlm65 composion was different but still a color instead of nitrocellulose lacquer as was normal.

if I have some time to look for the book I have the standard decoration Luftwaffe from 1932 to 1945 to more narrow.

Thanks for Your perserverence guys, been a while since I've posted.
Have some time, waiting for paint to dry gotta do aumthin to keep me fingers off it.
So I have been putting rivets in the floats. Got my rivet spacer template the other day, a .35mm drill and off I go.
I saw this on a larger scale 51B and thought it just added something to it and decided to go for it.
Make it look a little more Industrial. One float almost complete, one to go.

Attachments

• GB22 13.jpg
    GB22 13.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 86

Users who are viewing this thread

Back