1/48 Heinkel He-111

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I agree. The early H series had the small hole there only. However it seems to depend on the engine and type of exhaust pipes. Also a couple of drawings suggest the pipes for the starboard and port sides of the engine nacelles could be of the different versions. It can be noticed that the later exhaust pipes and the heating stub pipe required larger hole for getting into. Here a couple of shots found via the Internet.

a daigram
H.jpg

H-2
H-2.jpg

H-3 early
H-3-_early.jpg

H-3 late
H-3late.jpg

h-3late1.jpg

H-4
H-4.jpg

From what I've discovered so far, the 'ribbed', individual exhaust stubs were fitted to late production H-4 series, and the H-5 series onwards.
The H-3 and earlier H-4 series had the tubular exhausts on each side of the engine, as originally fitted to AW177.
It's possible / probable that AW177 had engines fitted from another captured example at a later date after it's earlier testing by RAE.

Yes I agree dear friend. That's very likely. I have gathered all pics of the AW177 we found so far. And here is what I noticed...

the late the 'ribbed' exhaust pipes... it seems that these pipes were attached when the bomber was going to "stare" in the movie and were there later.
What is more the right ones ( looking from the front of the engine nacelles ) didn't have the heating connecting there although the small hole is noticable there. Those on the left side of nacelles had the heating stube pipes connected. See pics below..

AW177_Late1.jpg

AW177_Late1a.jpg

AW177_Late1b.jpg

AW177_Late1c.jpg

AW177_Late2.jpg

the pic source: the Internet.

The AW177 exhaust pipes... part 2..

The enlarged shot of the crashed He 111 1H+EN shows that the bomber had the cluster-type exhaust pipes with the front air inlet and the rear outlet for the heating system.
he111_d.jpg

he111_dd.jpg

So these looked like the one...
he111_d1b.jpg

the kind of the pipe was similar to the exhausts used for the P version of the bomber..
he111_d1.jpg

the enlarged shot reveals that there was not only the small hole for the heating stube pipe but also a quite big slot above the pipe.
he111_d1a.jpg

But the look at the enlarged third pic posted above reveals tha there was a kind of a shaped metal plate above the pipe making the shape of the niche there. Apparently the metal plate was lost or pressed because of the crash of the He 111P. The enlarged pic of the AW177 after the restoration to the flying condition ( below ) shows tha the same could have happened to the bomber as well although it wasn't crushed..
he111_d1c.jpg

he111_d3.jpg

The two next shots present that the air outlet for the heating could be left not connected to the heating stube pipe. But the first image of the post shows it was connected though.
H_a.jpg

H_b.jpg

The AW177 exhaust pipes .. part 3

The suggestion of drawings that these exhaust pipes could be different for the starboard and the port side of the engine nacelles didn't convince me. So I have checked on the rest images of the bomber.

Here three well known pictures of the AW177. The first one was taken soon after she was made airworthy while the second and third later. All of them show the port side of the plane. It can be noticed that the exhausts were of the cluster-type without the air inlet/outlet .

AW177_e.jpg

AW177_1.jpg

AW177.jpg

But how the exhausts looked like on the starboard? ... the first shot in the post above (#304) clearly shows that these were of the type with the air inlets and outles. So were these replaced too? It appeared that they didn't. I have reminded myself I watched a WW2 footage on the Youtube about the captured planes by the RAF. So I digged a little bit and voila. These three bottom pics were taken at the same place and time with those three above together.

So to sum up ... the AW177 had had the exhausts of the cluster-type with the air inlets and outlets on the starboards of the enginae nacelles only while there were the cluster-type ones without of the inlets and outlets on port sides before these were replaced by the trust-generating exhaust pipes. Both types of the exhausts were connected to the heating system. But only these attached at the starboard sides of the engine nacelles had the connection with the heating stube pipes.

AW177_2c.jpg

AW177_2a.jpg

AW177_2b.jpg

I think you're right Terry in terms of the different engine nacelle variations. In fact I have an excellent image with all the different types from H-1 to H-23 and the different Jumo engines used for each version.

However our aircraft, had one type exhaust at the time of crashing (as a German bomber) and rebuild once captured by the RAF, I guess the English engineers, changed the engines and / or only the Trust-generating exhaust pipes (I'm watching the name in the image that I mention), as Wojtek mentions, by the way, very good and graphic photographs, tks.

I have some problem with the Internet of my PC (I'm in my smartphone), so it is impossible for me to share images and photos that I only have in my PC files.

I hope it is corrected soon to share the images.

Saludos y gracias por sus comentarios y aportaciones :thumbup:

For now I tell you that I finished with the riveting of the wings, I have the two nacelle armed and already apply the RLM 02 to the wall wells (they are 4 pieces still separated because they must be joined just before joining the two parts of each wing).
I hope to have a time tomorrow to paint the details of the interior of the WW, and the necessary weathering. I also hope that in a few days my Internet will be fixed. Meanwhile, that does not lack battery to my phone cell.

Good night. :thumbup:

What we now know and learn, is that our beloved protagonist had the different exhausts. And what she will have for this GB # 40 will be the ones that appear in photos 2 and 3 of my post # 284, also because they are the only ones that this Monogram kit comes with.

In the link that W. puts as reference of the photos in his post # 293 (the pic source: coastrider: The North Berwick Heinkel) the videos, photographs and information are very enriching. Wow!

It has been a very interesting contribution and chat to learn from Heinkel 111 and our protagonist. Her story has captivated me.

Thanks friends for your contributions and especially for Wojtek, I'm sure many of us learned (and are learning) something new about this medium bomber.
:grouphuuug:

Saludos y buenos días :thumbup:

Great information. The photos did get me wondering why so may variants. The changes to the exhaust systems in my opinion are paralleled in motor vehicles. What is the first thing on an engine that needs replacement on a worn engine, or an engine you are trying to extract more power out of.....answer is the exhaust. . If the exhaust stack develops a hole or a crack....something that is common when you run the engine consistently or often at max power, then you have to either repair or replace the existing stacks. An engine without sufficient back pressure from the exhaust due to cracks or holes, or even blown gaskets, can easily suffer performance penalties of up to about 15% and the risk of fire greatly increased. In the Luftwaffe, spares are somewhat scarce, operational rates are high....the Luftwaffe is straining at this time to keep up the pressure. It make sense that you would start to see variations to the standard

Hello everybody, good morning. I still have difficulties connecting Internet to my PC. disgust

I have been making progress on our AW177, and I already have several pictures of the process and some of references and informative (like for example the types of exhaust)
I can work on my PC with files and edit photos, but I can not share them !!
Does anyone know if it is possible to do it from my cell phone? :notworthy: I have the photos, access to my emails, interact in the forum, but do not know how to edit and share photos in our forum :dontknow:!
My cell phone is Android of last update. I know this may be off topic, I would appreciate a PM.

I already have the fuselage without scars of the union; the wings joined with their well walls, also without scars, I'm about to join the nacelles to the wings.
But right now I'm in the adventure of opening the windows of the cockpit, the folding hatch of 2 windows, the rectangular one at top of the bubble greenhouse as well as another window that opens at the bottom, next to the sight camera of the bombardier man.

Imagine everything I want to share with all of you!

Saludos :thumbup:

That's right, Andy, from InfranView I can give the size to the photos and also add texts, arrows, etc.
The important thing will be to know that they can be posted from the cell phone. Hopefully someone can guide us.

Cheers :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back