1/48 Hobbycraft Dornier Do 17Z and ICM Do 215 B-4

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DSCF3947.JPG
DSCF3948.JPG
DSCF3949.JPG
DSCF3950.JPG
DSCF3951.JPG
DSCF3952.JPG
DSCF3954.JPG
Hi All. It's been a while since my last update on this build. Since I had less modeling time on my hands then I wanted, I decided to get on with the build and skip a few updates. So I pushed on with the painting,decaling and weathering process. Now I'm almost there, at last.
Still a few bits and bobs to add to both models, but I feel you'll get the general idea.

First on, the venerable Hobbycraft Do 17 Z in Finnish liverey ca. 1947.
I tried to replicate it's post was apearance as good as I could. using the few bas pics I had of this particular aircraft and some decals for this version I had from an old "In Scale" decal sheet that has been o.o.p. for a long time.

There is still some cleaning to do. Pics were taken imidiatly after taking of the cockpit masking, so some dust and dried up paint residu still needs to be removed. Overal I'm pretty happy how the model turned out. I looked at a few other post war F.A.F. aircraft and noticed that on most the old "Hakristi" markings were painted out with a fresh coat of olive paint upon which the roundels were added. I chose to this on the Do 17Z as well.

Further weathering was done with a "sludge wash" made from high grade watercolour paints and a drop of dishwasher soap, which creates something equal to "Florry's Wash". Model was "futered" for a second time to seal the wash, added a Model Master flat coat on it and weathered the rest with pastels to create a rather dusty look which the real aircraft had.

I hope you like it and comments are very welcome!

Last edited:
DSCF3955.JPG
DSCF3956.JPG
DSCF3957.JPG
DSCF3958.JPG
DSCF3959.JPG
DSCF3960.JPG
DSCF3961.JPG
DSCF3962.JPG
DSCF3963.JPG
DSCF3964.JPG
Next up ICM's Do 215 B-4 in Hungarian markings. This kit is truly wonderful. Imho the best Do 17Z/215 kit in 1/48 out there. Though I think it sits a tad to high on it's wheels when compared with pics. Also the tailplane is wrong. (see my earlier posts)
the trough letdown on this kit are without doubt the decals. Really these are only good for the bin. They led to a whole lot of fustration as most of them simply disintigrated when they came in contact with water. I tried a few things to save the decals, using microscale decal repair, adding a drop of Microscale set and even some futur to the decal water, but no avail. So, do yourself a favour when if you want to build ICM's Do 215 and try to find some aftermarket decals. As I was to far ahead with the build, already chose the colorful Hungarian bird, I had to make my own markings. These were drawn in Illustrator by a coleague of mine and later cut on a plotter. A rather time consuming venture...But the results are good imho...

I found a few pics of the Hungarian flown Do 215 4. These were ex Luftwaffe and recieved Hungarian markings. The pics show that the lufwaffe markings were clearly painted out with fresh paint. So this is what I did. Also here ICM's paint guide clearly shows lack of researh as they do not mention, nor include the Hungarian tail markings. So these were masked and painted as well.
These reccon planes caried a rather unusual mottle on their undersurfaces aplied on the factory RLM 65 "Hellblau" paint. I tried to aply this to the model as well. From what I could see on the few pics of the actual aircraft, this mottle extended on all lower surfaces, most likely to break up the silohet of the aircraft in flight. I also noticed that the previous aplied large underwing "Balkenkreutz" was painted out and a much smaller Hungarian cross was added over it, leaving a portion of the wing unmottled.

DSCF3955.JPG
DSCF3956.JPG
DSCF3955.JPG
DSCF3956.JPG

Last edited:
And a few last pics of the duo together! I really enjoyed building these two models in a rather unusual livery. Luftwaffe birds a different jacket so to speak. Though I will never, ever build another Hobbycraft Do 17Z in my life! It's a waste of time imho, especially with the much better ICM kit available. I simply finished this kit because I just wanted to compare both offerings of the last "Flying Pencil" models and wanted to try a few (new to me) modeling techniques. I hope to post a few more pics when I added the small bits and did the final weathering on these kits.

Next will be the BIG MPM He 177 with the adition of Eduards "Big Ed" in R.A.F. markings as test flown by the late Capt. Eric "Winkle" Brown. I hope all goes well with this one as it has to be done by december 2017 to enter a local model contest... (a result of my big mouth at our local IPMS club that I would enter something for the anual contest them "Captured equipment" so they demanded a BIG bird...I have no idea of what I have myself led into....)

DSCF3966.JPG
DSCF3967.JPG
DSCF3968.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks all for the kind replies! Took me longer then anticipated, but I'm pretty happy how these models came 'round in the end.
Picked up some new techniques and generally got the taste back for building models!

I hope to add the last missing details somewhere in the comming month(s) and call these two done!
Though I'm gonne use my spare time on the Big Heinkel first!:salute:

I support all the comments about what you accomplished with your two birds, Jerry.
To see the details that you have us with the last photos of this pair, will be interesting. And as you say, the learned and fun of the process, is the beauty of this.
To enjoy your new aggregates.

Saludos y siguiendo tu He-177 :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back