1/48 Kawanishi N1K1 "Rex"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

meatloaf109

1st Lieutenant
Jan 1, 2012
north carolina
In addition to my seaplane mania, I have been bitten by the Japanese bug. This Tamiya "shake 'n bake" showed up today and I just couldn't keep my hands off it. The only thing that it will require of me other than paint is seatbelts.

rex1.jpg

rex2.jpg

Last edited:
Looking forward to this build Paul.

I found the Kawanishi interior color chip after an intense search online. I did a custom mix using olive, yellow and a touch of blue. A dark grey wash and then I dry brushed the interior color again, lightened with some white. The IP gauges were painted white then flat black for the panel with semi gloss black over the white when it was dry. I used a needle to scratch the markings on the gauges and then used a silver pencil to do the bezels. I also used the silver pencil to add small chips and scratches to the side panels and floor, concentrating on the area under the rudder pedals and some on the edge of the seat. Pictures of the seat with the foil belts when I get them done.

rex3.jpg

Good stuff Paul, nice easy one mate! :thumbright:

from this aircraft came the N1K1 'Shiden' land based version then a redesign and the N1K2 Shiden-kai the ultimate version....:D

Last edited:
Nice start Paul cockpit looks great how did you paint the cart.

Hey, Paul, damned nice job so far. I am struggling to keep my attention on the European Theatre for now. But, you are making it harder for me to do so. I always enjoyed Pacific Theatre when I was in the hobby years ago. The Japanese had some beautiful aircraft and those Gruman 'cats always drew me in as well. I am going to really enjoy watching this build.
Dale

Yep, I will be continuing the Japanese thing in the next G.B., (might be a float plane), but, if everything works out, it will be a little something different.
Anyways, I got the canopy masked and everything is ready for painting. In the morning I will set the exhaust fan in the window and the paint will fly!

rex6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back