1/48 MiG-23M Flogger B - The Jet Age.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ahhh... I've lost a bit of momentum on this build fellas. After getting the fuselage sides together, all kinds of commitments have pulled me away from my hobby room. Fishing trip this past weekend... 8th grade promotion for younger daughter last night... performance birthday party at Starbucks for my older daughter tonight... don't seem to have much free time these days.

And, for whatever reason, my enthusiasm for this particular build has waned a little. I'm not sure why because it is going well so far... no big disasters to overcome. Perhaps I overdid it with the AM parts (the combo AM/kit part landing gear assembly is still a worry). Add to the fact that jets are outside my comfort zone (WWII... preferably Axis fighter planes). I dunno... what do you guys do to get out of this type of modeling funk?

I'm tempted to start on a parallel build. Maybe step away from the Flogger a bit and work on another project? I have a little "stash" now (1/32 Hase Dora, 1/48 Hase 109K-4, 1/48 ZM TA-152H) and have also been wanting to add a 262 nightfighter to this GB.

The Flogger WILL get done. It's too good of a kit to leave unfinished but I need something to spark that enthusiasm again.

Happens to most of us I think John. Personally, I don't sweat it. Forcing yourself to get back at it just damages your enjoyment even more. Your spark will come back.

I like your line up of upcoming builds. Keep in mind that all are suitable for upcoming GB's (Night War Nov 1, and Defense of the Reich Feb 1).

Thanks guys! I've put the Flogger on temporary hold as all of that detail kinda sapped the energy from this build. Hopefully the Me262 will re-energize me and I plan to hop back onto the Flogger before long!

John, I always seem to hit the funk after a bit. I usually find a second kit helps. I guess that's why I put two kits into the GB, one funks I work the second. Have fun withs the 262 and it will be alright. You having a fish fry for all of us? Virtually that is?

Hang in there John. I am sure your interest will be sparked again and you will get this one across the finish line. I really like the work you've done on it. I am in the same position at the moment as you. Lots of non model related stuff to do including work and family commitments. I am taking a break at the moment from building but looking forward to getting back at it soon. I always find buying a few modelling supplies here and there keeps my interest level going.

I've let this one sit long enough. Back to the Flogger! Over the busy summer and throughout my 262 build, I have been looking at and tinkering with the Flogger kit. I really don't want to have a kit sit unfinished so I've decided to jump back on and see if I can get her done by the deadline. It might be tight since my August looks to be booked with lots of events that will keep me away from my workbench. We'll see...

Ok... so where were we??? The fuselage has been buttoned up and the seams, more or less, addressed. The wings are next and I've decided to keep the wings swingable.
IMG_8802_zpswripucee.jpg

Before the wings can be attached to the top of the fuselage, the jet intakes are put in place. Trumpeter has included a PE piece for the surface detailing on the prominent splitter plate in front of the intake openings.
IMG_8805_zpsmzid8ikv.jpg

Attachment of the wings didn't happen until after lots and lots of pre-fitting. When I figured out that I couldn't avoid some major seams, I tried to place the wings in a way where the worst of the seams would occur on the top of the fuselage and not the sides, which would've been harder to clean up.
IMG_8821_zps61waavi6.jpg

IMG_8823_zpsnr2xb5oj.jpg

IMG_8822_zpstll7jxlo.jpg

I'm going to attack the nasty gap in steps. Using White Milliput, I roughly fill in the gaps.
IMG_8825_zpspyx0ixwm.jpg

But instead of letting it dry this way, I use a wet brush, water and damp paper towels to remove the excess. The big gaps are filled but there are still edges that need to be addressed. I am doing this way to try and preserve as much surface detail as possible.
IMG_8826_zpstl69cyk3.jpg

A quick view of the wheel well to remind myself that there is already lots of good work invested in this build and that I need to get on with the job and finish! You can also see the fuselage/wing gap that still needs attention.
IMG_8824_zpsyswu40mi.jpg

That's looking great. I love those wheel wells. I'm curious how the milliput will work out with no apparent backing to prevent the stuff from caving in. I probably would have used plastic card and CA glue in that gap.

That's looking great. I love those wheel wells. I'm curious how the milliput will work out with no apparent backing to prevent the stuff from caving in. I probably would have used plastic card and CA glue in that gap.

It works pretty well on gaps of this size provided that there is a secure bond between the parts and there is no "flexing" of the joint. As long as you don't try to use the milliput as a bonding agent, it works well to fill narrow gaps like this.

I'm still lacking motivation when it comes to the Flogger. The rest of August is going to be pretty busy for me so I don't foresee having lots of time in the workshop. The Me262 showed me that I have the drive to complete projects but for some reason I am dragging my feet on this one. Although I am more interested in late war subjects, I would like to contribute at least one kit to the Britain GB. So... this one might get shelved.

How often do you guys STOP on a kit? And I don't mean kits that come to catastrophic end... there is nothing wrong or terribly difficult about this Flogger build... I just don't have that burning desire to work on her right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back