1/48 MiG-23M Flogger B - The Jet Age.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Slowly getting the resin cockpit into shape. The instrument panel utilizes a clear acetate sheet for the gauges which is sandwiched between the photoetched outer face and the resin piece. since the acetate is clear, the back of it needs to be painted white to bring out the instruments.

IMG_8515_zpso3fcxeof.jpg

Here's what the instrument panel looks like after intial painting and assembly. For the most part it is done but I may pick out some details with paint.

IMG_8521_zpsvpdlcmho.jpg

The IP is integral with the HUD display and cowling beneath the windscreen.

IMG_8520_zps25mcfnxz.jpg

The resin seat comes with a full array of photoetched seat harnesses.

IMG_8516_zpsq1d0sppm.jpg

The back of the ejection seat has incredible detail on it but unfortunately, it won't be seen when the seat is in place in the cockpit. I may leave the seat unglued.

IMG_8517_zpscw6cqdpf.jpg

Base painting of the seat is done. Now I have to paint the belts and details.

IMG_8518_zpshcfuovuc.jpg

Thank you for the positive comments. I've been suffering from a form of "modeler's block" for the past week. The Aires resin cockpit tub has such fine details that painting it has daunted me to the point of avoidance. I've been jumping around the instructions and finding other sub-assemblies to work on. Like the airbrake wells... I think I'll show them in the open position so I've added some simple wiring.

IMG_8522_zps5mitmqcq.jpg

IMG_8523_zpscyvlt2c0.jpg

The Trumpeter kit has a photoetch insert for the airbrake inner surface... nice touch. I annealed the brass piece by folding it over a candle flame so that it would be easier to conform to the curvature of the airbrake.

IMG_8524_zpswtjoar1o.jpg

Some excess funds in my Paypal account goaded me into making yet ANOTHER aftermarket purchase for the Flogger. This is the Eduard Brassin resin wheel well kit.

IMG_8525_zpsv2ya57wx.jpg

After the thick casting blocks are sawed off, the wheel wells drop into place without any kit modification whatsoever. A big difference from the Aires cockpit and exhaust. I pre-painted the nose and main wells black and then medium gray.

IMG_8526_zpsd8ayrbia.jpg

The wheel wells will be given some detail painting and then a wash... should look good when done!

IMG_8528_zpstlptcia0.jpg

The cockpit? Well, I forced myself to address the cockpit tub and sidewalls today. Spent lots of time under the magnifier and picking out the details. To be honest, I wasn't very happy with it and was considering blitzing it thinner and starting over but sanity prevailed and I got it to a point where I could accept it and move on.

IMG_8527_zpsmhyqexyl.jpg

The ejection seat is going to very tricky to paint due to the array of P.E. belts.

Finally got around to the KM-1 ejection seat, which is part of the Aires resin cockpit set. Based on my references, there seemed to be quite a variation on the colors found on the seat. So... I just winged it.

IMG_8541_zpshlwgfunq.jpg

The rear of the seat has lots of detail for the ejection mechanism but it will be out of sight when the seat is in place.

IMG_8543_zps0uvrublq.jpg

Now all of the cockpit pieces have been painted and weathered.

IMG_8535_zps1zqxhuir.jpg

IMG_8536_zps2sbjemks.jpg

IMG_8533_zpsvcefpd5d.jpg

The nose landing gear components have been finished.

IMG_8529_zps4glo8q1f.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back