**** DONE: 1/48 MiG-17F Fresco - The Jet Age.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jeff Hunt

1st Lieutenant
Jul 20, 2012
Guelph Ontario Canada
Username:Jeff Hunt
Name: Jeff
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1:48
Manufacturer: Airfix
Model Type; MiG 17F Fresco
Aftermarket: OOB build

Cheers,

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
My first Airfix kit in well over 35 years and my first group build at Intermediate. Not too many pieces go into this one and if the decals hold out I will be making her up as the North Vietnamese ship depicted on the box. Build will not get going till I am done the Welly from GB 25.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

Cheers,

Jeff

Nice Jeff. Got a few books on the -17, one on the F model if you need anything though I think Wojtek probably has the worlds supply of reference material on Eastern Bloc aircraft.

Geo

Two questions....

Interior colour....I am thinking a bluish green sort of thing?

Scribing on top of canopy.....what is it and what is it made of? My first thought was detonator cord of some type.

My ignorance is shameful:oops:

Thanks

Jeff

The MiG-15/17/19 interior colour should be a grey one (of a couple of tinges ) . The bluish green one called the Russian Blue Green ( sapphire or turquoise ) appeared much later.

Scribing on the top conopy .... it wasn' the detonator cord of any type. One source says it was the heating system of the conopy while the another mentions it was one of two antennas of the ARK-5 (Automatic Radio-Compass) in English the Automatic Direction Finder. The second antenna was attached to the bottom of the fuselage.

MiG-17 kab1.jpg

Last edited:
Good one Jeff. I've often wondered what the old Airfix kit is like - looks fairly reasonable. I've got the Hobby Boss (Shenyang J-5) kit to do as a Polish variant, which has a full engine and accessories, a bit of a waste in my opinion, as it'll be 'lost' inside once the fuselage is joined.
Got a load of great info from Wojtek too !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back