**** DONE: 1/48 Me262B-1a/U1 - The Jet Age.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys! Charging right along now... the light blue 76 was "neutralized" with some gray per the reference that Andy posted. I forgot to take a picture of the that but right after that I started applying the mottle using an RLM 82 custom mixed from Gunze paints to match a paint chip in a reference book. I switched over to my Paasche V as I am more easily able to spray a finer line with this brush than the Iwata HP CS Plus.

IMG_8756_zpsrpxkood1.jpg

IMG_8757_zpsmqe4zgsz.jpg

Yeah, it looks strange but I tried to match what I was seeing in the archive photos of Red 12.
IMG_8759_zpsrvq62dwd.jpg

IMG_8760_zps95b6jfrl.jpg

I got some overspray on the bottom that needs to be cleaned up as well as some other spots that got lifted off with the masking tape.
IMG_8761_zps5inlmy1o.jpg

Continuing the painting work on my Nightfighter. I've decided to go with a two-color mottling scheme so I added some additional mottling marks using my mixture for RLM 83 Green. I'm very much accustomed to the grey mottling that is commonly portrayed on Red 12 so this green-based pattern is throwing me for a loop. It looks odd to me. But I will trust the sources and go with it.
IMG_8764_zpsh73eizrd.jpg

IMG_8765_zps0t0ztohp.jpg

I have a set of Montex Luftwaffe masks from a previous 1/48 190D-9 build that I've decided to utilize on my Me262. The tail swastika seems to be the right size but I've added some strips of Tamiya tape to simulate the masking cutouts that seem to be present on Red 12.
IMG_8766_zpsexgrpdv7.jpg

The mask is carefully put into place...
IMG_8767_zpssx5ajdg7.jpg

Voila... one swastika complete!
IMG_8768_zps9qe0i8bw.jpg

The fuselage crosses are next.
IMG_8770_zps6q1ingpo.jpg

Underwing crosses.
IMG_8771_zpsrtlxebbl.jpg

And then the top of wing crosses.
IMG_8772_zps1q1a65nm.jpg

Starting to look the part now! I haven't shown it but I've been painting the exterior bits and pieces (antennae, pitot, etc) as the camo painting has progressed.
IMG_8773_zpsaelhdioj.jpg

Next order of business will be the red "12". I have a couple of choices here that I need to look at closely: the Montex mask or the decal that Andy graciously donated. The mask is a wee bit larger than the decal but if it is not too large, I want to use the mask to match the other major markings.

Comparing the archive picture to the mask, I have determined that the mask size is ok.
1messerschmittme262b10n.jpg

IMG_8775_zpsxhohxqjb.jpg

The red is sprayed on first.
IMG_8777_zps5oqwf02p.jpg

After the red is allowed to dry the number masks are carefully placed within the outline masks and sprayed white.
IMG_8778_zpsm4ddirgq.jpg

IMG_8779_zpsqondc06b.jpg

Paint chipping is done by wiping the hairsprayed areas with a brush dipped in water.
IMG_8780_zpsqtpt7woy.jpg

Thanks for all of the comments guys! This build is approaching completion. It took me awhile to get used to the green-based camo but I am not hating it anymore. After the red "12" was completed, I put on a gloss coat (Alclad Aqua Gloss) and applied the few decals that were usable and applicable. I couldn't utilize all of the stenciling from the Hobby Boss kit since it was not geared for a black-bottomed nightfighter.
IMG_8781_zpsta3plxfh.jpg

The bottom was chipped lightly using silver paint and a fine brush.
IMG_8782_zpsvsvc9hpa.jpg

After the decals, I highlighted the panel lines using a pastel wash.
IMG_8783_zpsidk9xhod.jpg

IMG_8784_zps76gs3dh6.jpg

The model was then given a 50/50 coat of flat/gloss.
IMG_8786_zpshrsmc5br.jpg

IMG_8787_zps1c3rcwyx.jpg

Additional weathering was added via dry brushing various shades of brown pastel and wiping it off.
IMG_8789_zpsiqslkzwt.jpg

IMG_8790_zpsxikrvjvb.jpg

Landing gear was glued into place at this stage. The wheels are left off until last so that I can align the flat spots of the tires with level ground.
IMG_8791_zpsr1zmujt7.jpg

IMG_8792_zpsvvnviy01.jpg

Now that the model can sit on its landing gear, I added the dorsal antennas and pitot tube. I also removed the canopy masking.
IMG_8793_zpsjirzihtq.jpg

IMG_8795_zpsh1u8chuw.jpg

Maybe I rushed in taking the canopy masks off. The finish is a bit shiny and I may have to apply another topside flat coat.
IMG_8796_zpscpbgdby8.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back