1/48 Me262B-1a/U1 "Red 8" - The Jet Age.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great to see Red 8 finished up! I love your work and its interesting to see all of the different things that you added to your kit that I didn't even think of. It's also interesting to see how our interpretation of the references led us to very similar camouflage results. Your Red 8 and my Red 12 are definitely stablemates.

I also like the look of panels and canopy closed.

You have done a tremendous job with your R8; I loved the camouflage and how you solved the challenges. The pit looks great and transparency of the canopy makes it look indoors and airplane silhouette. I congratulate Andy.
Now I have the clearest path and hope my Me262A's take a hand very soon. :mrgreen:

Hermoso avión Muchas Felicidades!!:salute:

Saludos:thumbright:

Luis Carlos

Absolutely stunning- I had the privilege of sitting in the real Red 8 in the early 90s in Saxonwold, Johannesburg. I know I'm very late to the discussion, and you may hate me for saying this, but the rear cockpit had nothing in it at that time. I guess yours is before she was shipped to SA?

Thank-you for the kind words Olaf. Hope you are felling better.

The model depicts Red 8 as it would have appeared in the final months of the war during its short operational stint so well before the museum would have got hold of it. I'm sure much of the interior would have been stripped of its electronics for evaluation at Farnborough before it was delivered to South Africa in 1947. I don't know if they ever got around to restoring the rear cockpit.

Thank-you for the kind words Olaf. Hope you are felling better.

The model depicts Red 8 as it would have appeared in the final months of the war during its short operational stint so well before the museum would have got hold of it. I'm sure much of the interior would have been stripped of its electronics for evaluation at Farnborough before it was delivered to South Africa in 1947. I don't know if they ever got around to restoring the rear cockpit.

Well, I'm going in for a procedure today, so only time will tell.

As far as Red 8 is concerned, they could not restore the rear cockpit in the 90s, as they didn't have any of the parts, and due to a lack of funds. It was painful to see those empty spaces- not even a seat in there. Your colours certainly look right- the staff took a lot of trouble to get her current (90s) appearance right.

On that trip I also got to sit in and poke around in the Fw 190 A-6/R6, and a fair few of the other aircraft they had.

Lucky you! The colours I chose on my model reflected, as best I could, those outlined in an article written by a researcher on the topic. He's the one who helped drive the repaint of the SA exhibit to it's current state. I think I posted a reference to the article earlier but, if not and you would like it see it, let me know and I can send you a copy.

Lucky you! The colours I chose on my model reflected, as best I could, those outlined in an article written by a researcher on the topic. He's the one who helped drive the repaint of the SA exhibit to it's current state. I think I posted a reference to the article earlier but, if not and you would like it see it, let me know and I can send you a copy.

I'll have a browse later tomorrow and if I find them, I'll shout, but yes, I'd love to see them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back