1/48 Nieuport 17 - From WW1 to WW2 GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank you all :)...now for a bit more update, and the "wood grain" method starting off. I did the entire wood grain yesterday and I'll post some pics in phases.

First of the base coat, depending on the wood you want either a dark, medium or light brown. even for a Albatros style wood which is very light, I always use a flat earth mixed with a bit of yellow. Always a brown base coat, unless the wood is green or something none brown. Even if the majority of the wood is a diffrent tone than brown, initially you can always use the brown as "grains" in the wood itself later on,it also helps accent the wood grain that you add later on in the build.

DSCN5008.jpg

Both sides of the chair and then applied to the Fuselage.I''ve protected the area that is not going to be wood on the aircraft on the fuselage.
DSCN5009.jpg

While its drying I decided to apply the decals (nooo I know :D) on the tail fin. Pretty good on one side atm, the other side of the flag I'll do tomorrow.
DSCN5020.jpg

Its a pretty good decal, not a lot of Micro Sol needed for it to lie almost flat onto the surface.
DSCN5019.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Tiny, you betcha it is Charles and I'm looking forward to the rest of the wood grain demo.

Lets get this Wood Grainy Demo on! Hit it like a Log! :D No? No :(? I'll post the picks of the brushes and technique later in detail, when your working with oil paint it gets messy so I couldn't shoot everything that I wanted to for you guys :D

Only took about 2 days total to dry, usually takes me about 3 to 7 days, was rather fast considering, but I like this new thiner for oil paints its very handy :D

Since I applied the wood grain rather quickly the other day, I forgot to take pics, so I decided to pull out my old choped up "Wooden Mustang" test strip for wood and show you guys there :D

I had a similar wood base coat on the stang already so it shouldn't differ too much from what I used on the kit itself.
First now that we've applied the base coat with acrylic (you can either give it time to dry or slab it on pronto, I decided to wait)

First, anywhere from 5 to 7 oil paints, going from darkest to lightest:
DSCN5954.jpg

Next, first apply the darkest paint, don't forget to thin each paint with the oil thiner. (with any reguler size brush), and then the next paint in that order, you don't have to have a specific pattern, its more to brush it onto the already applied base coat.
DSCN5958.jpg

After that, wipe the brush and take a new brush, a bit thicker and apply a bit of lighter colors that remain, almost apply it "dry brushed", dabing the brush onto the paint, then onto a towel and then onto the model in slight sections, here is where you determine if you want the wood to have a orange or a yellow tint to it, since I prefer orange to my dark wood so I applied more orange oil paint than yellow, if you want more yellow to your dark wood, apply more yellow and restrain the orange.
after this application, take the middle brown and apply it "dry brushed" in short sections like so:
DSCN5955.jpg

Next, you'll take the fan brush and apply a mix of your darkest brown and medium, you can then apply it to your model with the tips of the fan brush, it'll create something that resembles actual grains in wood, and you'll have this, it makes the brush lines of your thick brush nearly disapear.
RSCN5968.jpg

My Camera's flash was too blingy after I took photos of the Nieuport so I might have to redo the shots above if you guys can't see em that well, let me know :)

Here are the shots of the Nieuport 17 so far, same method above, but just a little addition to it which I'll explain in the next couple days:

Tail section was horrible:

DSCN5034.jpg

So I'll have to airbrush the Italian Flag onto the fin :D

ok next now the final wood grain on the parts of the aircraft, I think you won't be able to see the effect from this angle, so stay tuned, close ups :)
DSCN5035.jpg

Now some closer shots :D, one side of the fuselage after glueing all the cockpit sections together :D there photoetch with a tad of a touch up on the dial itself from my paint brush, I thought of making it myself but then realised its too tiny for me to replicate, so I'd rather just knock it in there and touch it up with my paint brush:
DSCN5037.jpg

and closer:
RSCN5050.jpg

now both sides of the fuselage, I'll darken the linen sail color a little later:
DSCN5038.jpg

DSCN5039.jpg

Finally the prop, you can see most of the wood grain and the staining effect on it in this pic, I'll explain the staining in the next update :)
DSCN5045.jpg

Thanks for checking it out and commenting guys, now for you guys wanting to do lighter wood I'll have to make a Albatross D.III OEFAG 253 in this GB before time runs out so I could demonstrate lighter wood :)

Almost forgot, the seat with seat belt :D enjoy :D
RSCN5049.jpg

Last edited:
That's a fantastic lesson.... Thanks for sharing Mahstah! A very timely post. More than one can use this.

Thanks all, your comments keep the spirits up after a lil goof ball move :D Proof that you can't always trust instructions :O

Heres the engine together first, unfortunatley I checked the profile pics too late, and I'm currently half way done from removing the super glue from the engine and the pipes. The Photo etch pipes are in the wrong directions in the instructions, once you check the real Gnome Rhone engines the piping is on the opposite side ! :D On the plus side, I checked my other Nieuport kits (I think I have like 10 nieuport 17 kits in the stash :S) the most recent one I picked up, the Russian limited edition has a seperate engine which is amazing :D oh and lots of awesome naked ladies for profiles :D, almost as cool as Baracca's Stallion :)
DSCN5066.jpg

A Cockpit floor to go with that seat please! :D
RSCN5068.jpg

I've added a bit more orange, the last step in the process for wood grain :D you can add whatever color in the wood your trying to accentuate with a clear color, I use the line by Tamiya, Clear Orange, Red, Yellow etc. I've added a bit of yellow first to highlight the grains well and then the orange to finish up the final coat.
DSCN5062.jpg

The grain of the wood pops nicely I like a "fire" look to these nieuport 17s :D :) Since the front of the aircraft won't be seen as well, only a general covering and not too much detail is paid to the front secton (near the engine, you can see its chiped a little. that section won't be seen once the panel is in place and the smaller cockpit is sealed up. But just in case, the side of the fuselage gets the same treatment as the cockpit tub area, not to be that lazy about the wood grain :) plus we all love wood grain! yeah! :D and dirting up the aluminium a bit, you know me, got to have a bit of wear and tear :D
DSCN5063.jpg

I've added a link that has a propeller from the Italian Aviation section of I think a Nieuport or Spad, can't read Italian very well, but it is posed with a lot of WW1 items so I'm assuming its ww1 hopefully its somewhat similar to the prop color I did for Baracca's Stallion :) Heres a close up of the color :) for my model's prop :)
RSCN5048.jpg

Documento senza titolo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back